Bad Weather Shopping

Kilgore47

It's been in the low 30's all day and raining here for the last couple of days and looks like it will continue like this for a couple more days.  Being bored - I have been looking at old car parts on the net.  I can't look at old car parts for this long and not buy something.  

I found a pair of original glass blue dot tail light lenses and got them.  Picked up a third brake light glass because the price was too good to pass up.  And I broke down and paid the price for a reproduction hood ornament.  

Problem now is that I may need to paint the car so it will match the nice new shinny hood ornament?

Bored.jpg

• Like 2

OK buddy spill the beans. How much is a new hood ornament? I restored mine 35 years ago and it’s hidden away in the garage. But it’s far from minty fresh…  ;(

Edited by Ulu

I work at night and have made similar types of purchases around 3 in the morning or so…..”It’s only $xxx” which doesn’t sound like much when you are groggy!

I really need to go back to days!

Edited by nonstop

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Blue dots don't pass safety inspection in TX

Yes - but I have the car registered as an antique and inspections are not required.  This is a small town and I don't think they'll pull me over for that.  If they do - I'll ask for forgiveness?

Edited by Kilgore47

Oh I doubt you'll get pulled over.  When I bought my Cuda the PO had put blue dots on.  It failed the first safety because of that.  My 51 has regular registration, so I get a safety inspection every year.  These days though, it seems every joker out there has all sorts of colored lights going when ever so who knows, they might not be illegal anymore.

well I agree....you see all kinds of lights on the cars now....more make up that seen on 7th Avenue on any given warm night....is it legal, most is not, is it enforced...on the average no....should it be....to some degree I say yes....but then if the majority is out of order less likely I will be flagged.  However the blue dots are legal here and on a few of my older cars.  I carry a copy of the Georgia registration law on blue dots in the cars...they have to by reciprocity agreement signed by all states, be honored when traveling in those states they are illegal because, I am just visiting or passing through and not registered in that state.....it can get ugly even at that...I also carry the YOM law for my state...as they are legal everywhere by law as long as my car is registered in GA.  

Within one day of buying a car with blue dots, I got pulled over by the police for it.

Since I never go to car shows, they sit in a box, in my cabinet, in the garage, since 1983.

Silver lining - Good thing that whenever Mother Nature strongly hints that I should stay inside, where I live, it also usually means there won't be any internet to tempt me into unplanned purchases....

• Haha 1

Yep, it's my "other than winter" bombing around car.  More powerful than a heard of stampeding earthworms, faster than a speeding tortoise, able to leap a stripe in the road in a single bound....  But it is easy to work on, runs like a sewing machine, and is a hoot to drive.  I'd drive it in the winter, but its heater is a heater in name only.  Cosmetically it's just "OK", which is fine with me.  I'm very gradually improving on its looks, but I'm not fretting about it ever getting "done".  Too much fun driving it as is to worry about making it pretty.  I don't have any good photos of it - just picture a dull red Beetle with a few primer spots.

I see you've got some paint on that EMPI.  Got it running yet?   

Edited by Dan Hiebert
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You'll like that!  I got the same kit from Marden's last year.  First cordless tools I've ever bought, makes me question why I never bought cordless tools before.  Marden's is a quintessential Maine surplus and salvage store with several locations throughout the State.  Good stuff at really good prices, just as bad stopping by one as wandering around shopping sites online.  

• Like 1

My son gave me a drill and impact of this brand last year for my birthday....I have found battery tools have come a long way than when first introduced to them so I rounded out the set.  I was in barn check the application of a customizing piece I found for the 544 Volvo and spied this rack sitting nearby.  I quickly customized it a bit for storing the tools and the step drills/socket adapters and of course accessories that are part of the kit.   This allows me to keep the other brand drill and impact in the high bay of the barn for when working out there.  

IMG_0639.JPG

• Like 1

It has been my life`s experience that Blue Dots will absolutely get you pulled over, they always seem to attract the unwanted attention of the local authorities like a magic trick.

If illegal in the state....yes...you screaming for unwanted attention running them.  One never knows the 'daily' mood of the local LEOs.   I have blue dots and YOM tags on a few of my vehicles...main factor for blue dots....availability of lenses to modify....and if glass...not everyone has the ability to drill the units.  

The blue dots are going on the car today.  When I pulled the lights off the car I found rust behind them.  Been treating, repairing and painting those areas.  Painted the area behind the lights bright white for better reflection.  I'll let everyone know if I get pulled over.  If I can get someone to post bail for me ? :(

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

who would have thought such a small dot could cause that much problem with all the effect lighting on the cars today,

The issue some LEOs may have with blue dots mounted in taillights for Illinois at least, Taillights are considered safety equipment and called out by the DMV "Rules of the Road" for required equipment as follows.

• Taillights — Vehicles must have two red lights visible for 500 feet from behind. Only one taillight is needed for mopeds and motorcycles.

I think they look nice on some vehicles but will share a story for why I don't run them.

Was out 1 night on the motorcycle with 2 other bikes in Wisconsin heading back closer to home in Illinois. My friend Dave was last on his blue dot equipped panhead. Shortly after we turned onto a 55mph road a car tapped Dave pushing him forward and fortunately he just ended up with just some rear fender/taillight damage. The blue dot was identified as modified safety equipment and partly responsible for the accident.

I am guilty of running them in the past and also some red trailer lights under the front wheel wells on an old gasser. So run them but be aware of the risk. Car folks who have seen them before may recognize them as brake lights but an old man not familiar with these on a dark night did not. Becomes a greater issue with the smaller taillights and dimmer lighting of our old cars compared to the larger newer ones from the 60s. 

Edited by Veemoney

19 hours ago, Veemoney said:

Was out 1 night on the motorcycle

Good point.  But I don't drive the P15 at night.  The head lights aren't bright enough for me.  Maybe one day I'll fix that - maybe.  I don't even like driving my modern cars at night any more.

• Like 1

I got pulled over in town in the P 15 because the 6 V tail lights were so dim when the car was at idle that it didn’t look like they were on it all when I was sitting under a street light.

Still rather depends on the traffic laws of the individual States.  I.e., Maine specifies that rear lights and brake lights must be red.  Taillights with blue dots simply do not shine red when lit.  There is no ambiguity in how it's written, or how it's interpreted in Maine.  As Maine laws tend to be, "Blue dots" aren't specifically prohibited in the traffic laws, but several court cases have affirmed that red means red.  But the rub is also how vigorous the local constabulary is with traffic enforcement, some places won't stop you unless you are a dire threat to public safety, some cities prohibit their officers from proactively working traffic, others will stop you if your car is too dirty.

I got pulled over in Virginia once because my license plate light wasn't bright enough.  And I was being spitefully mindful of the traffic laws where I was because I knew the police were bored and on the lookout for my ilk.

Virginia is very mindful of any car passing through as easy prey it seems.....thankfully when passing through the state it is the very narrow neck and so short visit to the state.  Now I am not singling out Virginia, other states do such as well.  I was once ticketed for parking in a town with my out of state tags  and was very mindful of the law.  Street sweeper must have unblocked passaged x hour to x hour.  I moved my car before the allotted time and this time found a street that was not posted in said fashion for street sweepers,  I got a ticket....I complained that I followed the times and signs to a letter and that on top of that I place a pebble atop a residents tire from a long parked car.  I got a ticket he did not and the pebble was still in place.  I got an apology and notice the ticket has been voided, thanks for visiting our wonderful state.  Clearly I was singled out as an out-of-towner and I was even running an active  military person tag, a real thank you veteran.   Wonder how much money they make daily from such as this.   Just another example of harvesting the low hanging fruit.