Cataracts

oldodge41

Last Thursday I had cataracts removed and a new lens installed in my left eye. This Thursday the same was done to my right eye. All I can say is WOW! There is a very big difference in my vision and very easy procedures. If you are ever told you need cataract surgery and wonder if you should do it, it's a personal choice of course, but I recommend not delaying as the results in my case are amazing.  At yesterday's one day post op checkup my vision was 20/20. I will need reading glasses, because I didn't opt for the options that could have possibly negated them, but I am very happy with the results.

• Like 1

I will agree with you 100% Is a very quick & painless procedure. As I remember it over 15 years ago.

My mistake was the next morning I woke up & "rubbed the sleep" out of my eyes .... I messed one up & had to go back in.

This time they sent me home with a metal cup over the eye to protect it .... is only needed for 24-36 hours, while eye heals.

I feel a bit lucky on glasses. While I have bifocals, I rarely wear them

I'm near sited in one eye, far sited in the other. The brain just naturally adjust ....I wear glasses to read small print, normal print is fine.

I hope you have as much luck as I have had.

• Like 2

I agree with you both. Had mine removed in 2016 and the change was dramatic.  The difference between the eye done first and the eye done second was astonishing.  You never realize how much you loose in vision till it’s replaced. After fifty years of wearing thick glasses I now have for all intents and purposes 20/20 vision with only need reading glasses. Best medical procedure so far.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Los_Control said:

My Uncle was one of those that needed it or at least stopped driving because of cataracts.

He refused to get the procedure done.

In the late 70’s my Mother waited till she was functionally blind before having them done. She said she expected to die before she had to have them replaced.

They offered me a couple options. I took the first option which gives me great distance vision and the need for reading glasses.

Option #2 was one eye distance and one eye close up vision. 

Option #3 was progressive lenses in each eye.

Option 2 and 3 not covered by insurance near as well as option 1. 

I am a firm believer in safety glasses anyway, and I've worn glasses since I was 12, so reading glasses doesn't bother me.

I had my left eye done in October.  I chose the 'distance vision with reading glasses' option.  Couldn't believe the improvement.   The doctor said my right eye will need to be done in a year or so.  We'll see how it goes.   

Sometimes it feels like I'm still wearing glasses even though I'm not.  Anyone else have that experience?

I had both eye done over the summer time. Same results are great and the surgury is very simple. This was the first time in my 72 years that I have been put to sleep for a surgery. I am using the dollar store for reading glasses and cost me a wopping $1.25 I guess I really broke the bank on this purchase..

Rich Hartung

They told me that they put me just to the edge of going to sleep, but coherent enough to follow the doctors instructions. I remember nothing from the first eye except being told to look down once at some point. The second eye, I remember the doctor instructing me which of the three lights to look at a couple of times. I also remember the nurses, or techs, or whatever they are, removing their gowns, gloves, etc before I was wheeled to recovery. Both times recovery consisted of putting my shirt back on, drinking a cup of water and receiving discharge instructions. Maybe 15 minutes in recovery each time.

I had this 5 years ago.

I slept with big plastic sunglasses on for two weeks as I was terrified of scratching/rubbing my eyes!

It was terrific, because not only did I have cataracts, I had extreme myopia. Now I see 20/15 and out shoot all of my buddies at the rifle range.