Upgrading shocks in front end of 47 dodge deluxe

squirrelbrothers

• squirrelbrothers changed the title to Upgrading shocks in front end of 47 dodge deluxe

Different control arms will not affect shock selection.  Not sure what you are wanting there.

What many have done is relocate the upper shock mount from the upper control arm to the frame, this makes for more robust shock action.  A search on this site, or the internet, will give many examples.

Or you can find stiffer shocks that fit where your existing ones are.  Which is what I did on my 51.  What I did was find out my extended and compressed heights, then I went thru various shock listings till I found a set that would physically work, then I found a performance gas charged version and installed them.  Worked really nice. 

However, my 51 has different extended and compressed heights than your, I assume, 47 Dodge so my shocks won't work for you.

• Like 1

The F1 shock mount relocates the upper mounting point from the upper control arm to the frame. I have not done mine yet. I have saved a photo of someones change for a reference and will post it here. Shock length will depend on compressed and extended travel between mounts. You will want more travel than what you measure to avoid bending the shock or mounting points. Hope this gives you some help. I believe Dodge had mounts like these on some of their trucks, don't remember the years.

F1 mount.jpg

Ford F1 mount.jpg

Edited by 48ChryslerRodder

personally I think one should do a bit to displace the anchor pressures to a larger footprint...some folks say that they had issues here...other say they did not...your call, but for myself, I made backing plates for my modified shock mounts and these are plates are on both sides of the frame.   After a time, I will check and if these are loose, I will likely put anti-crush sleeves into play.

IMG_0329.JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

• Like 1

I'm concerned about that also. I am planning on running some schedule 40 pipe through the frame at the mounting points. Welding it in and cutting it square on each end close to the frame. After seeing your plates I may try and add them into the build.

A good set of nitrogen filled direct bolt on shocks which are around 300$ plus install (which is very easy ). It is probably the most gentle option on your wallet and time considerations. Also check if it is time for a front end rebuild which is essential for the front end assembly to work effectively with the shocks. M

$300 seems real steep.  I paid $98 for the pair I put in the front of my 51.  These are what I fitted up, though I did have to drill out the bushings (from 1/2" to 5/8") to fit the shock mount studs, easy mod.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/CPP-DT-4809G-1955-72-Chevy-Truck-Front-Gas-Shock-Lowered,440140.html

If someone knows the collapsed and extended lengths for the 47 Dodge I might be able to find something that can work.

I think this one might do the trick

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/CPP-DT-4163G-1960-72-Chevy-Truck-Rear-Gas-Shock-Stock-Height,440143.html

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sniper said:

$300 seems real steep.  I paid $98 for the pair I put in the front of my 51.  These are what I fitted up, though I did have to drill out the bushings (from 1/2" to 5/8") to fit the shock mount studs, easy mod.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/CPP-DT-4809G-1955-72-Chevy-Truck-Front-Gas-Shock-Lowered,440140.html

If someone knows the collapsed and extended lengths for the 47 Dodge I might be able to find something that can work.

I think this one might do the trick

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/CPP-DT-4163G-1960-72-Chevy-Truck-Rear-Gas-Shock-Stock-Height,440143.html

I appreciate it I will look into those for use on my 47. I am v8 swapping it here in the next couple weeks.