Oil gauge leaking oil on 48 DeSoto

MarcDeSoto

Great

7 minutes ago, Sniper said:

7 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Awesome link

In my Dodge or Plymouth parts books, the compression nut and sleeve fitting is 3/8”x27. Part number 119335. Mark’s picture of oil lines show two different fittings, one worked and the other doesn’t. I’m with Robert on this, because we have an original line and gauge in our hands. Rick D.

I looked in my 39 Desoto parts book and also found the same number as indicated from above. Then went to my MoPar standards pats book and found the part number 119335 and copied the page with the information.  Refer to Part Type code 18-130-2  3/16 3/8-27 thread.

Hope this provides everyone with the info.  If anyone finds this fitting please let everyone know the company and part number and the contact info and price.

I have sent and email to restoration Supply in Windber PA and also to MacMaster to see if they carry this special fitting.  If they do carry the fitting I will post the information and the price. Lets all keep our fingers cross that we can find the special connector.  or if anyone else finds one please post the info.

Rich Hartung

Oil gage Nut with slleve assembly 119335.pdf

Edited by desoto1939
  • Like 1

I got these from my local hardware store. They are a gas pilot light fitting for water heaters. I believe way back someone did post that McMaster has them too. For anyone trying to install one I recommend doing it outside of the vehicle where you can hold the nut on the back of the gauge while tightening this fitting. They require a fair amount of umph to set. 

2 hours ago, Young Ed said:

I got these from my local hardware store. They are a gas pilot light fitting for water heaters. I believe way back someone did post that McMaster has them too. For anyone trying to install one I recommend doing it outside of the vehicle where you can hold the nut on the back of the gauge while tightening this fitting. They require a fair amount of umph to set. 

Good to know.

I went to Home Depot to look for those fittings, but all of them were for 1/4" tubing.  I finally have solved my leaking problem on the oil gauge.  It's not clever, but it works.  I found the original oil gauge for my car with the tube still connected.  I checked with my engine cranking and there is no leak now!  Thanks to all!  Marc.

I heard back from McMasters this morning. i sent them the document that showed the specific fitting with all of the measurements.  They wrote back to and stated they do not carry this item.

My next check is with Restoration supply and then to a plumbing supply store. Wish me luck.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

2 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

I heard back from McMasters this morning. i sent them the document that showed the specific fitting with all of the measurements.  They wrote back to and stated they do not carry this item.

My next check is with Restoration supply and then to a plumbing supply store. Wish me luck.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Wishing you the best of luck.  ?

Edited by Sam Buchanan

4 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

I am just glad I found my original line and oil gauge!  No need now.  But thanks!

Maybe this should have been your first step. ? Would have saved a lot of hassle. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have not found a 3/8x 27 NPS fitting. So I bought the common 24 thread fitting and a 3/8x27 die to chase the threads. Tested with 40 lbs. of air and soap, no leaks. I didn't use teflon tape at the gauge, just the brass adapter fittings. I don't even need a new line, but that's my fix for if I do need one. Rick D.

DCP_1484 (1).JPG

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Marc:  The issue is that there is a special connector that screws into the back of the oil guage and basically it has a bubble flare fitting.  I did a posting on this issue several months ago. The thread pitch if I remember correctly is a 27 pitch thread and is not a flare fitting.  Check your parts book for the fitting and let me know the part number.

This special fitting and connector was used by alot of the dodge trucks into the 50's.  Very hard to get this part.

Rich Hartung

• Like 1

Marc: Attached below is a picture taken from my Chrysler small parts catalog. The picture with the special nut and bubble fitting is an original brass fitting. So this is what you are looking for to help seal the oil pressure gage in your car.

Rich Hartung

Oil gage fittng 1.JPG

oil gage fitting 3.JPG

oil gage fitting 2.JPG

• Like 1

Rich, you're a godsend!  Thank you for this obscure information!  I knew something was wrong.  I wonder why my original didn't have this fitting? Or maybe I lost it years ago?  It just looks like 3/16 brake line.  

Here is what my Parts List says:  Tube: Oil gauge hose to oil gauge - 861526  

attaching standard parts:  Nut, inverted flared tube 3/16", 3/8" -24thd... 

Nut, w/sleeve ... 3/16" tube diameter, 3/8"- 27 thd.

I guess this nut doesn't come on the back of NOS oil gauges?

Maybe I can order it?  

Edited by MarcDeSoto

Mark you are welcome.  Look in your parts manual for the various part numbers 1193335-339 and or342. I think the part you are looking for is 119335.  It is an odd ball thread pitch with a tapered end and 27 pitch is no very common. You are correct the fitting does not come with the oil gage. They assume you will use the old line with fitting.

I tried alot of venders and no one had them. But I do know that the dodge pickup trucks had the same fitting up ito the early 50's.  So if you go to a swap meet always look at dodge oil gages and look on the back you might find a gage with the fitting.

Rich Hartung

There has to be a work-around for this fitting. Dies are available in 3/8-27 and a machinist could probably replicate this part.

https://www.amazon.com/8-27-Set,-British-Right-Taper/dp/B072N2K7KT

What I can't tell from the drawing is if there is a separate sleeve and if the tube has a swage on the end of it. I assume this is some sort of compression fitting. If I was faced with this I might consider a 3/8-27 bolt (they are available) with an AN fitting brazed or tapped into it. A sealing washer could be put under the head. This would allow a flex hose with AN fitting to be run to the engine block which would also have an AN fitting in the 1/8" NPT hole. I used a 48" AN-3 braided brake hose to plumb an oil pressure gauge in one of my aircraft because I didn't trust the little plastic tubing that commonly comes with a gauge.

Edited by Sam Buchanan