Speedometer screw loose

LeRoy

Hey all

Is anyone familiar with the innards of our speedometers? I took mine out today to clean and lube it and while fiddling around with it I hear a small rattle. A really small screw fell out while I was fooling with it. Does anyone know where this came from?

On another note, who is the evil fiend that decided to use the bulb socket for the high beams to secure the top of the speedo? I fiddled with that for 10 minutes while I stood on my head before I figured it out. Aaaggh! 

I guess the upside to removing the high beam short was to funds the baby wasp mummy plugging the hole, guess the bulb wasn't burnt after all.

20230124_185008.jpg

Edited by LeRoy

14 hours ago, LeRoy said:

Pretty strange, I completely disabled that speedometer and that screw didn't go in it anywhere.

Many years ago, 1994 to be exact, I swapped a 360 in place of a slant six into my 72 Dart.  Before the swap I pulled the 360 and went thru it, I found a loose nut inside the crank case, looked like a rod nut.  I never found where it went and can only assume that it got dropped into the engine during assembly and the line worker just grabbed another nut and carried on.  Might be the case here?

4 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Many years ago, 1994 to be exact, I swapped a 360 in place of a slant six into my 72 Dart.  Before the swap I pulled the 360 and went thru it, I found a loose nut inside the crank case, looked like a rod nut.  I never found where it went and can only assume that it got dropped into the engine during assembly and the line worker just grabbed another nut and carried on.  Might be the case here?

Could be, in fact I hope that's the case. This screw is so small its got to be from a gauge or something similar.

I hadn't planned to completely disassemble the speedometer, just a thorough clean and lube. When it wasn't apparent where it came from I dug in and took it all the way down. Its not a chore I'd take on again without good reason. There are a lot of small parts and I shake a little these days so its not as easy as it used to be. I also didn't want to hose it up and go on the search for a replacement.

I'm headed to O'Reilly this am to see if I can match up a speedometer cable that's close enough.

One thing that's pretty interesting was how easy it'd be to turn the miles back, nothing that a shady used car salesman couldn't do in an hour. 

Glad to have my high beam light back too, those wasps will build a nest anywhere.

On a completely different note I was digging into why my fuel gauge suddenly went nuts. In the end one of the little wires in the sender had broken so I soldered it together on the side opposite the wiper. I think I'm back in business but will need to see when I visit the gas station next. It's an aftermarket sender and its a total pos. Replacement parts are nothing like the originals. 

I also want to thank @sniper for the link.  I ordered the 84" version this morning for my truck.

Getting my list knocked down. Still need a E-brake cable Then can burn in the floor pan.

May as well take advantage of the easy access while I have it.

I have mixed feelings about @LeRoy .... Thought I was finished with my speedometer .... Now thinking I may need to pull it back out & do a better job ???

Edited by Los_Control
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Los_Control said:

I also want to thank @sniper for the link.  I ordered the 84" version this morning for my truck.

Getting my list knocked down. Still need a E-brake cable Then can burn in the floor pan.

May as well take advantage of the easy access while I have it.

I have mixed feelings about @LeRoy .... Thought I was finished with my speedometer .... Now thinking I may need to pull it back out & do a better job ???

If you need a spare screw I know where to get one

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, LeRoy said:

The OReilly version of the ATP Y804 is a Pioneer CA3002.

Thank you sniper

For future reference, 63" will work with a d24 230ci w/fluid drive but it's close. 64 or 65" would be a better fit.

• Like 1