218 Rod Bolt

Lycanthrope

Greetings everyone, I'm finally putting my 218 back together for my 53 belvedere and one rod bolt, nut and washer assembly has disappeared, This wouldn't be a big issue but the rods on this engine have a recessed area for a lock washer in the rod and my parts motor (Same year of Plymouth) has different rods with no washer. Does anyone know a source? Any idea what years they used lock washers? I feel that one of these engines may have been swapped in the past.

Thanks

20230124_060508_resized.jpg

Bob I found that lock washers called Hi collars fit perfect.

I used Grade 8 my self.

Doug

high-collar lock washers McMaster-Carr.htm

Is the rod bolt pictured one you will be reusing?

It appears to be covered in moderate surface rust. I would personally feel very ill-at-ease using any critical hardware that looked to be in that condition. Rod bolts  especially,  they face a lot of hardship, and fail with an expensive BANG. 

• Like 1

No, that bolt is just for example, the nut and washer are fine as they are from another rod, but the bolt is definitely not safe to use. that's why I am trying to find another one. I checked the Mcmaster site and may go that route for washers if I can't find a stock one. Thanks for the help everyone. :)

• Like 2

I'm thinking around 1953 the countersunk lock washers were dropped.

NOTE:  I did more research...

Both MoPar car and truck parts books show the use ofbthese con rod lock washers #668555 on the flat head six engines thru 1958.

I'm not sure I believe that as I have seen quite a few using no lock washer ans no groove for it in the rod cap.

It's possible the rods with no washers were re-conditioned rods with the washers being eliminated and the rod caps groove eliminated...just a wild guess.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
More info.

3 hours ago, Sniper said:

The Freewheeling Tony Smith does a set of Mopar con rods, he touches on the lock washers.  Just click the right arrow to go thru the postings.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2375796022441640&set=pb.100063489375749.-2207520000.

So FWTS says split (lock washers)  are unnecessary and they make accurate torquing impossible due to the damage that they do to the mating surfaces. 

I just looked at my disassembly pictures and they did not come with washers.

19 minutes ago, Bob Riding said:

My '56 has a space that looks like it would receive a washer...

Maybe I'm wrong..what are the part #'s on your rods?

All seriousness aside, who is Rod Bolt?   Perfect name for a fictional character, brawny he-man, takes no crap.  

My sister-in-law married an Alex Bolt.  She is a retired audiologist, and late in her career had to get a doctorate in audiology.   

If I told you that Dr. Bolt is coming to see you, to set some things straight, you might be a bit apprehensive. 

She is maybe 5 ft 3, maybe 100 lbs, not quite the image expected.   But she still doesn't take no crap  

8 hours ago, DonaldSmith said:

If I told you that Dr. Bolt is coming to see you, to set some things straight, you might be a bit apprehensive. 

When I was in the Navy we had a Master Chief who's last name was Doom.

"Hey sailor, Master Chief Doom wants to see you" ?