Disc brake vendor

oldodge41

Thanks @Sam BuchananI bet a lot of people can use that information. .... I'm very glad that the kit is available.

Many people prefer to buy something that is "not" a pile of doo doo sitting in a field.

They want to test drive the vehicle before they buy it, then later can purchase the parts and let their mechanic install them. When they want to upgrade the brakes.

Or they want to do the job themselves, but they do not want to weld or fabricate, just want to buy parts that fit.

Then you have goofballs like me. I already bought the Rustyhope kit & sitting on a shelf for future use.

Right now I'm fighting a master cylinder. .... If I need to replace it I will go the Toyota route like others.

I have almost the same $$ invested into my welder, as I paid for my project truck. ..... I need to justify that cost &  build things with it  :D

I made the Rusty Hope kit work but cannot recommend it. Fortunately I have full access to a machine shop and plenty of patience. I don't doubt that his "kits" may work for some applications but not for mine.

On 1/16/2023 at 9:48 AM, oldodge41 said:

Anyone used a disc brake kit from https://www.tsmmfg.net/ ?

I don't remember seeing their kits before.

I haven't seen their kit before. 

1339brakes_orig.jpg

They use a GM caliper that's often very badly misused.  It's hard to tell from the picture, but on this one, there's at least a chance that the result is reasonably safe, although not exactly what that caliper needs to work as GM designed it to work.   At least there's a caliper stop plate shown.

The test for GM brakes with this caliper or similar GM calipers with the slider pins is this:   Place a big C clamp over the outer pad and the back of the caliper.  Tighten it down to "apply" the pads to the rotor.   Try to turn the rotor to verify that you've got it stopped and locked down with the brake pads.  Now pull out the slider pins and try to turn the rotor.  If it turns further with the slider pins removed than it does with the slider pins installed, the kit is absolutely unsafe to use.   It's using the slider guide pins to apply the braking force. Those pins aren't designed for braking force loads, they are only there to retain the caliper when the brakes aren't applied.

If the caliper doesn't move with the pads clamped to the rotor and the guide pins removed, then it's at least somewhat safe.  In all GM applications, the tab that stops the forward motion of the caliper is centered between the pads over the center of the rotor vents.  That's so that stopping the vehicle doesn't put a twisting force on the caliper and it's mounting system.  That's definitely not the case on this kit, but it's possible that at least it isn't abusing the pins to stop the car like a lot of other kits.

Edited by Racer-X-
  • Like 2

@OUTFXD  If you go the Mustang 2 route, buy from one of the reputable sellers (Fatman, TCI or the best is HEIDTS).  The ones in Evilbay are from the Hoffman group and are absolute junk.  The reputable manufactures will cost more but this is one of those areas you don't want to buy based on price.

BTW, you will need to buy the frame stub for that above suspension, basically a clip job.  Since you're doing a "clip" anyway, Dodge Dakota should be looked at.

• Thanks 1