Disc brake vendor

oldodge41

quick view of their product show a great deal of additional work compared to others kits available.  Cost are a bit higher for base kit without regard to additional work you will be doing also then the flagged banner of parts delays possible.  Don't get me wrong...the other kits have issues and certain amount of customer intervention also.  I will only add that you should read close and compare the kits as to what you are capable of modifying yourself as any farming out of tasks will set you back in installation time and additional cost.

8 minutes ago, allbizz49 said:

Rusty Hope.

Not

I did a review on their kit for my 51.  The level of thought that went into it can be summed up like this, "what is the least possible amount of effort can I put into this kit to make it eventually work?"  It shows in the parts and the instructions.

I'm pleased with the installation and performance of the Scarebird kit with hubs on my P15.

https://p15-d24.com/topic/58096-scarebird-disc-brake-conversion-p15/#comment-625750

Update: I just checked the Scarebird website and it appears the kit for my car is no longer available. I don't know if this is a temp supply chain issue or long-term.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

5 minutes ago, allbizz49 said:

I've installed a few Rusty Hope kits without issues. Scarebird is fine if you don't want to run your stock wheels. My personal dailies all have drums. 

I'm running the stock 15" wheels with Scarebird on my '48 P15.

I understand scarebird is gone .... here is a post copied & pasted from another forum .... I click on the link & goes nowhere.

Just suggesting scarebird is no longer a option. We have RustyHope & now this site being discussed in this thread.

Damn, another company folding due to COVID/supply chain problems. Here’s their website announcement: Scarebird closing

Due to latent supply constraints from Covid-19, we have decided to shut down operation effective end of 2022. Items still listed are available - those not listed will not be replenished.

Phone is not is use - please email us direct:

tech@scarebird.com

We sincerely appreciate your patience. Website will revert to info only regarding kits previously sold in 2023.

• Sad 1

I bought a budget Scarebird kit for my truck (one of the few kits they had left), now just need time to put it on.  

I am curious about this place:

https://www.rusticdiscbrakes.com/

Has anyone dealt with them before?  Looks like they use off the shelf parts, except rotors, which may still be off the shelf, but just modified…

1 hour ago, OUTFXD said:

How hard is it to machine stock hubs to work with the scarebird kit?

NM.  just went to their sight and they are out of year appropriate kits.  Guess word got out and vintage auto enthusiasts made a run on the company.

6 minutes ago, SuperGas61 said:

And for some reason, the Bernbaum kit ($1500) is almost twice as expensive as the ECI kit ($825)...

ECi does not include everything Bernbaum does.

AB kit includes

Aluminum hubs with grease caps (in ECI kit)
    New GM rotors and “big piston” calipers and pads (in ECI kit)

All mounting bolts, seals, bearings, caliper mounting brackets and attaching hardware (in ECI kit)

Flexible brake hoses (not in ECI kit)

New dual chamber master cylinder (not in ECI kit)

All bracketing and hardware to install the new master cylinder in the original location, and with correct interface with stock pedal system. (not in ECI kit)

Correct metering valves to maintain appropriate residual pressure in system. This is critical and is why many “home built” conversion kits don’t work properly! (not in ECI kit)

25 minutes ago, Sniper said:

ECi does not include everything Bernbaum does.

AB kit includes

Aluminum hubs with grease caps (in ECI kit)
    New GM rotors and “big piston” calipers and pads (in ECI kit)

All mounting bolts, seals, bearings, caliper mounting brackets and attaching hardware (in ECI kit)

Flexible brake hoses (not in ECI kit)

New dual chamber master cylinder (not in ECI kit)

All bracketing and hardware to install the new master cylinder in the original location, and with correct interface with stock pedal system. (not in ECI kit)

Correct metering valves to maintain appropriate residual pressure in system. This is critical and is why many “home built” conversion kits don’t work properly! (not in ECI kit)

Thanks, Sniper!

I have never looked at either one of those kits .... imho, adding a master cylinder with all needed hardware for installation is a game changer.

In fact is the first I'm aware there was such a kit .... I wonder if they sell the master cylinder kit separate? I might have to check into that.

Switching to disk brakes is a project.

Switching to a two stage master cylinder is a completely different project.

For that reason I would expect ECI kit to be twice the cost of Berbaum kit.

And exactly why I will use Rustyhope & a Toyota master cylinder   :(

39 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

I have never looked at either one of those kits .... imho, adding a master cylinder with all needed hardware for installation is a game changer.

In fact is the first I'm aware there was such a kit .... I wonder if they sell the master cylinder kit separate? I might have to check into that.

Switching to disk brakes is a project.

Switching to a two stage master cylinder is a completely different project.

For that reason I would expect ECI kit to be twice the cost of Berbaum kit.

And exactly why I will use Rustyhope & a Toyota master cylinder   :(

The ECI disc kit for your truck:

EC-757CK - Complete Kit $ 825.00

I don't know what kind of pedals your truck has but here are some Chrysler master cylinder conversion kits:

https://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/chrysler-master-cylinder-assemblies