Headliner Question

JerryinTx
Go to solution Solved by Eneto-55,

I'm about to try to tackle a WLS headliner/wind lace install on my P15 4 door sedan.  Never done anything like this, and I'm a little nervous but have learned a lot from YouTube videos.  The upholstery shop I was going to use has gone out of business or I would not even consider attempting it.  Found that all of the tack strips have been removed from the car, so I ordered that yesterday, and I've discovered all the places it goes except for one.

I can't see any way to install a tack strip above the rear quarter windows.  Anybody done this install on a P15 4 door sedan and remember how the headliner attaches in that area?  The garnish moulding has been attached to the window, so maybe it's hiding something to attach to?

Another question:  Is there supposed to be a panel board below the rear quarter window?  I am planning to do the door panels, carpet - everything except for the seats.  Need to find an upholstery shop for that.  If anyone has a lead for one in the North Houston area, I'm all ears!

Gee, you're a brave soul.  Mine needs to be replaced as well.  It seems such a daunting chore. Please take some photos as you go along showing the specific areas that will give a person trouble. What videos are out there for this job? Best of luck.

• Like 1

the headliner should attached to strips with serrated edges that will hook the fabric in place....the tacking strips are generally along the b post for the windlace...the front windlace tucking in and cleated with serrated edge here also...as the bottom of the rear quarters is covered with the garnish that overlays the lower quarter trim panels the headliner goes no lower here.  The sail panel and window at the rear I have very vague memory here so eveidently was not an issue....the addressing of the fabric below the rear glass at the package tray is where I found the system most lacking and thus made a similar serrated strip for this area for quick and easy install.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Bingster said:

Gee, you're a brave soul.  Mine needs to be replaced as well.  It seems such a daunting chore. Please take some photos as you go along showing the specific areas that will give a person trouble. What videos are out there for this job? Best of luck.

Bingster, I'll be sure to take some photos of the process.  The only video that I have found is a headliner install of a '48 Chevy, helpful but not the same attach points as a '48 Plymouth

14 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

the headliner should attached to strips with serrated edges that will hook the fabric in place....the tacking strips are generally along the b post for the windlace...the front windlace tucking in and cleated with serrated edge here also...as the bottom of the rear quarters is covered with the garnish that overlays the lower quarter trim panels the headliner goes no lower here.  The sail panel and window at the rear I have very vague memory here so eveidently was not an issue....the addressing of the fabric below the rear glass at the package tray is where I found the system most lacking and thus made a similar serrated strip for this area for quick and easy install.  

Tim, the serrated attach strips end forward of the window.  There is nothing I see to attach to above the window.  Photo attached.

Rear quarter window.JPG

Jerry.......the pictures I lost in the crash was the entire process and step by step when I installed my headliner.  Ok just found one of my shoulder strap install and the garnish removed and original headliner mainly removed....the serrated cleats stop at the front door.....the fabric is glued about the quarter glass.  This is a picture of mine finished.  I lost three computers, two almost back to back to  freak out of nowhere lightening strikes.....still upset over it all. 

gallery_19_35_34976.jpg

100_1646.JPG

That looks really nice Tim!  My situation is a little different because I can't remove the garnish without removing the entire quarter window.  (Mine opens)  I can't imagine how you hold the headliner taut while the glue dries.  Sorry about the loss of your photos and everything else due to your hard drive crash.

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I lost three computers, two almost back to back to  freak out of nowhere lightening strikes.....still upset over it all. 

Lightening can do some really crazy damage, and I've seen my fair share of it (doing IT work).  Usually it will be the motherboard, or some functions of it, like when lightening hits an overhead telephone line and after burning out a fax printer, follows the USB cable over to the system and takes out all USB functions.  Or the time when lightening blew the whole telephone box apart, throwing the door of it about 30 feet across the parking lot.  (Another time it hit a tree outside a warehouse, followed the roots under the building, and got into the network wiring....)

But I don't think I've ever seen it burn out a hard disk drive.  So wonder if you couldn't still get your photos back if you connect it as a secondary drive, on another computer.

• Solution

The barbs that secure the headliner in that area are inside the curvature of the rear window.  (This is also a 4-door P15, and it has the rear wing windows.)

PXL_20230110_001959316-sm.jpg

Edited by Eneto-55
additional comment
  • Thanks 2

as stated...use contact cemet as stated....coat the metal, coat the fabric, let both dry tact free...when they touch...instant bond...be sure you are aligned....

Thanks Eneto 55......I did not have such a clean memory on this but for some reason the cleats stuck in my mind....too many days have passed since I put in my headliner.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

as stated...use contact cemet as stated....coat the metal, coat the fabric, let both dry tact free...when they touch...instant bond...be sure you are aligned....

Thanks Eneto 55......I did not have such a clean memory on this but for some reason the cleats stuck in my mind....too many days have passed since I put in my headliner.  

I didn't remember how it is, either.  It's a "benefit" of not having completed my car yet.  I just went out to the garage & took this picture....

Installing headliners is not as difficult as it may seem.  I've done a few, but not enough to be a whiz at it.  Just takes patience and attention to detail.  "Manage expectations" I tend to tell people undertaking something new.  Remember that you do not do this professionally, so don't expect to go in and get it done as quickly as the reality shows, upholstery shops, etc.  If something gets frustrating, stop.  Do something else for a while.  There are restoration books out there that detail headliner installation in a way that you can easily adapt what they teach to your car.  Well, I say that.  My books are about 40 years old, but I'm sure there's some still, or something else, out there.  The basics are the same for every car. To do the job right, I would plan to remove all the interior trim and garnish on or about the headliner, even if that means removing the rear quarter windows.  You'll be happier with the process and results if you do.  You may even discover that you have a knack for installing a headliner!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 48ply1stcar said:

these links to my install my give you some ideas.  I installed my WLS headliner.  I had no experience and I think did ok.

I have read your threads several times and your headliner looks great!

8 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

Installing headliners is not as difficult as it may seem.  I've done a few, but not enough to be a whiz at it.  Just takes patience and attention to detail.  "Manage expectations" I tend to tell people undertaking something new.  Remember that you do not do this professionally, so don't expect to go in and get it done as quickly as the reality shows, upholstery shops, etc.  If something gets frustrating, stop.  Do something else for a while.  There are restoration books out there that detail headliner installation in a way that you can easily adapt what they teach to your car.  Well, I say that.  My books are about 40 years old, but I'm sure there's some still, or something else, out there.  The basics are the same for every car. To do the job right, I would plan to remove all the interior trim and garnish on or about the headliner, even if that means removing the rear quarter windows.  You'll be happier with the process and results if you do.  You may even discover that you have a knack for installing a headliner!  

Dan, thanks for the encouragement!  I was about ready to go searching for an upholstery shop, but you have given me a reason to forge ahead.

21 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

The barbs that secure the headliner in that area are inside the curvature of the rear window.  (This is also a 4-door P15, and it has the rear wing windows.)

PXL_20230110_001959316-sm.jpg

Eneto-55, this is a biggie!  I could not see those barbs because my windows are installed.   Looks like I still may need a little contact cement though. Now if I can figure our how to remove them.  I'm guessing I need to push to the outside.  I've tried, but they won't budge.  The gasket sealer on the outside may be what is holding them.

2 hours ago, JerryinTx said:

Eneto-55, this is a biggie!  I could not see those barbs because my windows are installed.   Looks like I still may need a little contact cement though. Now if I can figure our how to remove them.  I'm guessing I need to push to the outside.  I've tried, but they won't budge.  The gasket sealer on the outside may be what is holding them.

That's something I do not remember - how to remove the wing windows.  I took them out back in 1980....  I can understand, however, why you would rather not remove them.  The rubber is probably really hard, and it may be very difficult to seal them again.  (But at least things like that are actually available now, although probably very expensive.  I imagine I will spend as much on the rubber for the windows and stuff like that than I did for both P15s I have.  This 46 4 door had been re-painted twice, once with a brush, by a heavy handed painter.  So the rubber has a good bit of paint on it of both wrong colors, and so they were really stuck.)

Edited by Eneto-55

Actually the window rubber is only about 15 years old and it has been garage kept since the new glass was installed. The rear quarter windows leak like a sieve when I wash it, so they probably need to be re-sealed anyway.  I'll keep working on removing them.

Edited by JerryinTx
typo