The Story about the 53 (Big Boy) B series

Larr991

As I posted in the picture section of a 1953 COE that was used in our business, the thread took off into something I didn't intend to do. I solely did this to show a pure example of a truck that sat in a time capsule for many years. I thought maybe it would shed some light on things that were in question, about certain things on trucks that get removed, or taken off and discarded. I remember the truck just sitting in the back corner of our storage facility, no one ever really paying any attention to it including my brother or me, even none of my dad's workers. i remember it being backed into the right rear corner of the newly additional part after being built, and never thought of again. Many years passed, and on the repair, side sat a 46 Chevy 2 ton in the same despair. (Though not proper for this forum) it to was low mileage, and unmolested! As I grew older, I became interested in these old trucks, and really wanted to see them run again and have somewhat of a purpose. I reworked the Chevy, but the Dodge still sat idle in the back corner. My dad never spoke much about the Dodge, just said he bought off Ansco (company here in Binghamton), after they only owned it less than a year. They used it as an inhouse truck, dock to dock, and that's what was done with it after my dad took over what they started out to do with it. Apparently, they didn't want to be in the trucking business, so he took a contract and performed the service for them. There builds were only short distances, same side of town, but most of the time the truck just sat at the dock. As I'm sure the contract was lost, the truck probably sat idle much of the time, as it is very high and difficult to load furniture into, even if you did have a walk board. I do know my grandfather, (mothers dad) did help my dad on his days off and suffered a heart attack in the back of one of the trucks and died. My brother and I thought maybe that's why the truck was parked, and never drove again, though no mention of this was ever talked about. No one ever asked, and no one ever brought it up. Fast forwarding to the present, we retired a few years ago, and the truck first saw the light of day in early 2020. When things were being auctioned at our business, the truck was still parked in its same resting spot. Many people tried to buy it, but it wasn't for sale. The Dodge had not moved or been started in over 40 some years, so the first thing was disconnecting the fuel line, check for ignition at points, and clean the carb. The truck started right up, like it never was parked. Knowing of my retirement, I built a building before to house the trucks, and it was driven a few miles up the road to its new resting place, where it now is. Here are a couple pictures of it, seeing daylight in over 40 years. Hope this clears up any questions. IMG_0687.JPG.16eb63b6319ac4045d4b10591f19c6da.JPG

IMG_0690.JPG

• Like 8

That is an awesome truck and story!  I wish you were not on the other coast, that would just be awesome to check out in person!  Just curious, could you throw up a couple photos of the other truck too?

• Thanks 1

Of all the Dodge B series trucks I've owned or seen in my life I've never seen a Dodge COE truck close up.

I would love to own a really nice one but getting too old now with too many trucks already.

If I was close I too would love to see yours...only can dream?

• Like 1

I can see a latch point on the box, so I assume your truck has swing open doors. The truck has a shroud under the dash, that again, I assume it directed the cowl vent air towards the driver. Last is, what is the control lever on the floor rear of the gear shift? I’d like to see pictures of inside the box, to see how they secured the load, at your leisure. Did you get your gas gauge fixed?  Rick D.

• Thanks 1

Rick, yes, I did get the gas gauge to work, wow I asked that question on the forum, good memory, wound up buying a new sending unit to match the gauge with the proper readings. I think the lever you see, is for the starter, it is on the floor set back from the shifter.  Yes, the cowl vent directs towards the driver, and it even works! Swing doors are correct, I'll try to get some inside pictures, if I can sneak in, if not it may not be until spring! If I" m not mistaken, I think it had tie offs for like rope or parachute ties, you know the old mover carry straps! I know it's strange how this truck survived, but glad it did. I know one thing, it's one of the hardest trucks to work on, you can't easily get to anything!

I think the rod or lever going back from the gearshifter is part of the transmission shift linkage.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I think the rod or lever going back from the gearshifter is part of the transmission shift linkage.

100%, that's what it is.  dodge used that as a linkage, since the transmission was back under the seat (more or less) rather than under the center of the floor as on the standard cabs.  Bunn's book shows this, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don Bunn calls the transmission connection a reach rod, I understand that. It’s interesting that Chrysler Corp. retained the stomp pedal starter at that position, when a solenoid actuated starter with a dash starter button would work. Everything’s fine, I didn’t fall off a turnip wagon and I’m still rodeoing. Learn something every day. I have a B4D chassis and engine with the rear axle flipped and a farmhand loader mounted. It had a bale handler on it that the co-buyer wanted, but not the chassis. This is the starter lever. Rick D.

9CB8903A-AD60-422D-A9DF-BD39AB964E19.jpeg

• Like 1

Keeping things similar and not moving to a solenoid seems to be the way things were done back in the day.  On my COE I do scratch my head...but such a limited run likely didn't necessitate a new direction.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 2:21 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

Of all the Dodge B series trucks I've owned or seen in my life I've never seen a Dodge COE truck close up.

I would love to own a really nice one but getting too old now with too many trucks already.

If I was close I too would love to see yours...only can dream?

That truck would look great as a ramp truck with an old Mopar sitting on it. That ugly front end is so unique I'm falling in love with it. 

Larr, you aren't thinking of selling are you? I feel the urge to start a search.

Edited by LeRoy

The Dodge COE front ends were designed to look like a bull dogs face kinda ugly but after awhile you get to love it....at least now days.

Might not have been the love when they were in use though....shoved off in the back corner.

5 hours ago, LeRoy said:

That truck would look great as a ramp truck with an old Mopar sitting on it. That ugly front end is so unique I'm falling in love with it. 

Larr, you aren't thinking of selling are you? I feel the urge to start a search.

Doing a roll back or ramp with PUMA was my original plan, but now I plan to bob the frame and make a trailer hauler.  Depending on what you want to haul, a ramp really restricts what you can do, anything bigger than a car gets almost impossible due to height and a tall CG.  The COE's are a "cute" ugly.  ?

• Like 1

Lol, No can't sell it yet! It probably would look good as a ramp truck but will live out its life with me the way it is. I do want to take the time to thank everyone who commented on my thread, I solely did this out of a whim, posting the picture of it. I kind of shy away from posting things but felt a lot of Dodge people would enjoy seeing this! Dad was a Dodge guy, with the bigger trucks, and it brings back a lot of memories for me riding and even driving these old Dodges!! I probably would have continued buying them when I took over, but they had long ceased production.  Somewhere I have a few pictures of the Dodges he had,.53 conventional,55,63,64 72 and on and on right up until 77. Some of the Dodges were not pretty, but they made one tough truck. I do have a few things to fix on it, generator quit charging, and brakes need attention, other than, its good. Once again, thanks and i enjoy the chat, so keep it coming. Here is a link to the 74 I still have also. Jim https://youtu.be/NOrHScXXsjM

Edited by Larr991
  • Like 1

Your 74 Dodge is super clean. I hope you can get your 53 COE road able for this years truck shows. I just watched a clip of an Empire State ATA and didn’t see any B4HMA’s. Your truck will garner attention that will surprise you, I would think, just like it did here.  Rick D.

• Thanks 1

That D600 is a real beauty...love original trucks..

Great video too..Thanks. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, 9 foot box said:

Your 74 Dodge is super clean. I hope you can get your 53 COE road able for this years truck shows. I just watched a clip of an Empire State ATA and didn’t see any B4HMA’s. Your truck will garner attention that will surprise you, I would think, just like it did here.  Rick D.

I'm going to give it my best, seems after I retired, I'm busier than ever now!

• Like 2