Starter fluids

BobDeSoto
Go to solution Solved by Kilgore47,

• Solution

I keep starting fluid in my shop.  I have an old Jeep that refuses to start if I let it sit too long.  A shot to the air cleaner and it cranks right up.  After that - no problem - starts every time.  Let it sit for two or three weeks and it just wears the battery down trying to start it.  I have replaced the ignition system, by passed the computer and rebuilt or replaced most of the fuel system.  It's just an old worn out engine.  

I've always doubted the stories of 'washing the oil off the walls' and such.  I just can't imagine putting enough liquid ether into an engine to even wet the walls!  How much would one need to spread a liquid over that much area.  Never mind the fact that it evaporates almost instantly.

OTOH, it is really dangerous to use in any diesel that has some sort of preheat.  I've had diesels with heating elements (glowing red hot ones!) in the intake manifold, glow plugs in the combustion chamber and even one that dripped diesel onto a glowing element.  Obviously those should never see ether.  And some diesels have prechambers that can be damaged by ether explosions.'

Bottom line, I use it and have for over 60 years with no known damage.  But one has to use common sense, just a brief shot and crank to clear it out before trying again. 

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

I also don't believe  ether washing the cylinder walls down.

Never have had an issue using it.

Would never use it on heated intakes or GP diesels.

Don't use so much to cause pre- ignition either.

If you don't have any sence use no ether.

I've got lots of old heavy equipment, crane, dozers, dump truck and dozers and starting fluid is my (and their) friend.  Just a little shot makes all the difference and is so much kinder on starting motors and heavy big 24 volt battery sets. I use carb cleaner, tho, instead of ether cause it is not as volatile and easier on engines.

• Like 2