Starter fluids

BobDeSoto
Go to solution Solved by Kilgore47,

I've never had a need to use starter fluid. I would try all other methods to start a cold tired engine, using a little starting fluid as a last resort. It's a very flammable gas that I believe causes extremely high combustion pressures inside your cylinders when ignited. Higher pressures than your gas engine was ever designed to tolerate. Likely leading to broken piston rings and scored cylinder walls. Bent connecting rods. Expect to find lower compression readings from a gas engine that has seen its share of starting fluid. A diesel engine would likely tolerate starting fluid as diesels have an extremely high compression ratio compared to gas engines. Diesel engines are engineered and built way stronger, heavier blocks and heads, pistons, rings etc, to operate under extreme combustion cycles from such high combustion pressures. Diesel engines make massive power and torque due to the extremely powerful combustion process that occurs inside the cylinders. Gas engines, not so much. Starting fluid, like a shot of a drug may wake the your gas engine up, but it will take its toll.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 4

I use it very rarely. I like it for a diagnostic tool. Can quickly determine a no start issue ... if it is spark or fuel related.

I did use some yesterday to start my truck ... I should be horse whipped, but I did.

My truck had not been started for 6-10 weeks .... I did pour gas down the carb & I smiled how quickly it started. I use a temp gas can mounted on bumper.

I pulled it forward to the driveway to wash the truck .... removed the gas can so no water would get in it while washing it .... this drains the fuel line.

So I used a short whiff of starter fluid to light er up again. ..... Better then grinding on the starter trying to pull fuel back into the line.

When I was a kid we had a worn out Suzuki that had no compression, a shot of start fluid provided hours of fun. It was already junk so no harm.

I wouldn't want to use much on anything I cared about. A little wif might get you out of a bind.

A wild cat got into our garage back home once, and as I was trying to chase it out, it went up into the attic (open ceiling).  I poked at it with a broom handle, but it just went from place to place - wouldn't come down & go out.  So I thought OK, if I can knock it out with ether, then I could take it out, and let it wake up on its own time.  I shot a stream in its direction, but it hit the ceiling joist above me, and came right back in my face.  I just about passed out before I could get out into the fresh air.  Never tried that again....

• Haha 3

Oh my I thought this thread was going to be fun .... is starting out good  :D:D:D

@Eneto-55 trust me is not worth it .... leave them wild cats alone.

Either shoot em or provide a exit & time .... do not try to corner a wild cat. .... Lets not ask me how I know, being a dog catcher at age 18 brings back many memories.

Rarely use the stuff but carry a can with me on trips. It is a good diagnostic tool for isolating a fuel or ignition problem while parked on the side of the road and is excellent for finding a vacuum leak. Never spray it directly into the carburetor or nasty things will happen. It will wash oil off the cylinder walls and it will cause a very fast flame front and very high combustion pressures, especially if there is residual fuel in the cylinder. A quick spray at the air cleaner is usually all you need.

1 minute ago, Marcel Backs said:

I seen the bead sealing trick on a tire and it is sure as hell something that would have the skittish runnin for the woods!

Yes, I use a ratchet strap around the middle of the tire to push the sidewalls out and inflate with my compressor.  Haven't had it fail or blow a tire across the garage either.

• Like 1

You needn't spend money on starter fluid, unless you want to seat a tire.

In the wilds of Baja that's how they do it. Spray starter fluid in the tire and throw matches at it. You've got to see it!

The Olds diesel mechanics used to use WD40 to start those things after a fuel pump rebuild. it wasn't the ingredients that lit them off it was the propane propellant.

Could have just as soon used Right Guard spray deodorant! ( That and a Zippo lighter used to make the neatest flame thrower! Stunk though )

What works that is not quite so aggressive is an unlit propane torch.

The reason you need Starter Fluid is there is no fuel in the carburetor for some reason.

On my putt putt engines, if they don't start I just put a new carburetor on. That's not so crazy wasteful when you realize a new carb is $10.50!

Considering the cost of starting fluid, a carb kit and my time $10.50 sounds pretty reasonable. I keep one on the shelf at all times.

I learned this from my local putt putt engine dealer ( but not intentionally ) each time I took some device in for a tune up because it wouldn't start, he put a carburetor on it at $125! Only took twice for me to figure that one out.

So...why is your engine not getting fuel?

Find that out and you're half way there.

The staring fluid to air up the tires is a real deal. It causes no damage to a tire .... such a quick & short blast.

I have only seen it done on tubeless semi truck tires ... works just as well on passenger tires though.

When I was retreading truck tires we naturally had a service department to change tires. .... We got paid piece work for what we did, not by the hour.

This was in Seattle, We were called Puget Sound Tire.

I remember talking to the owner one day about something, Up in the 2nd floor office, & he was talking to a customer on the phone ... So I'm being quiet & wait my turn.

Downstairs Tony has a order for 48 tires & wheels .... He is using starter fluid to air them up .... POW!  POW! POW! .... I felt so sorry for my employer as he was doing a face palm trying to talk to a customer .... Tony was doing no wrong, this is a working shop & he was earning more money in one day then others make in 2 days.

My younger brother & I moved up to Nebraska for a couple of months back in the early 80's, to help our oldest brother get caught up on work at his auto repair shop.  It was winter, and the tow business was going strong.  He brought in a car that wouldn't start, and the guy had assured him that he hadn't used any ether.  My younger brother & I were outside, stripping out some junkers to be scrapped, when there was a loud BOOM.  Our brother had another project in the shop at that time as well, an engine swap in an old PU.  It was not a stock engine, maybe even a different make, don't remember.  Anyway, it was going to involve welding in custom engine mounts.  The gas line ran through there on one side, so when we heard the boom, we ran in, thinking that that PU had blown up.  Wasn't that.  The guy with the car that wouldn't start had lied through his teeth.  My brother was doing testing, and forgot to turn the ignition off when he decided to pull the distributor.  The stem touched the side of the hole when he pulled it out, a spark was lit, and BOOM!  Ignited all that ether in the crankcase.  Blew the oil blow by cap off on one valve cover, and balloned the other one, almost tearing it completely free.  My brother couldn't hear out of one ear for weeks after that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bryan G said:

I try to keep a can around, just in case. I really can't remember using it on an automobile, just various stubborn small engines. 

I never seem to have starting fluid for those times, well it's no surprise I don;t buy it, lol.  But brake cleaner seems to work.  I hae taken to running those things dry each time I am done with them, seem to fire up fine later.  Stupid modern gas.

• Like 1

An alternative that I have used, for stubborn small engines with gummed-up carbs is propane. A typical plumber’s torch. Open the gas valve on the torch. Don’t light it. Douse the engine intake filter. Pull the cord, she’s likely to go. I can get away with this for a year or two. Then she gives up the ghost. Time to pull the carb and clean it. 

many folks support using WD40 as an alternative due to the flammable properties along with benefits of lubrication unlike the ether that does a wash of your protective oil film.   Similar to using the propane method above with some lube properties.  It is not endorsed by the maker that I am aware of and there are some who swear by it and those that swear at it...read a few summaries and make your own call, I say fix what is wrong....starting fluid is typically for extreme low temperature use as an aid to a normally good running engine.

Back in 2011 my SIL's 1959 John Deere 830 was completely submerged in a flood. Took me 2 months of draining and flushing to get things cleared up. Got the 4 cylinder pony engine running could not get the diesel engine to fire. Went over to the neighbors and borrowed his starting fluid, one short squirt while cranking fired right up, been starting fine ever sense.

3 hours ago, Sniper said:

I never seem to have starting fluid for those times, well it's no surprise I don't buy it, lol.  But brake cleaner seems to work.  I have taken to running those things dry each time I am done with them, seem to fire up fine later.  Stupid modern gas.

It's a good deal more expensive, but we have a near-by filling station that has what they call 'recreational gasoline". (As if mowing the lawn is 'recreational'....)  That's what I use in all small engines, both 2 and 4 stroke.  Ruined too many of them already with the modern gas not to.  (Don't mean to start up that debate - that's just my opinion based on personal experience.)

Yes, the station I usually fill my BMW up at also has ethanol free gas, about a buck 30 more a gallon than super.

Of course I could pay $27+ a gallon for that stuff in a can at Home Depo, TruFuel, lol

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TruFuel-110-oz-4-Cycle-Ethanol-Free-Fuel-6527206/205913140

Dad's 1967 Farmall 1206 and my 1980 International 584 both had factory installed ether injection systems for cold starting the diesel engines...push button that was not easily accessible, solenoid energized to press the stem on a small aerosol can (nozzle removed) that sprayed directly into intake manifold...half second shot, and them old diesels would fire right up in sub-freezing weather.  On gasoline engines, we would shoot a full second down a carb throat to get fire on a stubborn engine...worked well there too, except on fuel-fouled spark plugs; if the engine didn't fire right away, it was time to pull a few spark plugs to clean them up and try again, which usually did the trick.  Rarely used the ether in above freezing temps unless infrequently used engine was being ornery, but that little shot got'm back in business purty quick.  Anything more than a hit of ether was a big no-no...rules to live by ?

I have a dozer with that ether injector system too.

Modern diesels a no no.

Don't try using ether on a modern diesel engine especially with a grid heater.. ka-boom?

Or possible run-away.

I use it once in awhile on old difficult iron. Never any issues.

16 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I have a dozer with that ether injector system too.

Modern diesels a no no.

Don't try using ether on a modern diesel engine especially with a grid heater.. ka-boom?

Or possible run-away.

I use it once in awhile on old difficult iron. Never any issues.

You just reminded me of a weird set up I encountered long ago. I learned to drive a semi on a late 60s GMC with a Detroit 238. It had a goofy set up on the intake that took a Chevron ether capsule, they were little grape sized gummy capsules that a button poked a hole in during start up. If it was cold they were needed to get it running.

image.png.e92d92101f8ba5ae24aa6185ab828020.png

• Like 1