Carb cleaner

LeRoy

Hey all

I bought a carb off eBay recently to replace my Frankencarb. It was pretty grimy and rusty so I was thinking I might have to piece the 2 together to make 1. I was going to use this project as an excuse to buy an ultrasonic cleaner but I saw where someone used pinesol to clean their carb so I gave it a try. 

I disassembled it and soaked in 50/50 water pinesol mixture for about 24 hours. I was blown away by the results, a very light brushing with a toothbrush and it looked very nice. I blew carb cleaner through all the passages then soaked those pieces in the mixture another 24 hours. After rinsing everything in water, blowing air through everything, and a light coat of WD-40 I reassembled and it looks great. 

I had no idea that stuff would clean like that. 

11 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

Have to admit it does a better job then I would expect.

I was shocked at the results but I still think I need the ultrasonic cleaner ?. The outside dirt would be easy to access but the inside dirt hides in the corners. I even found a wasp in one of the deep passages.

20230105_104408.jpg

Edited by LeRoy

Just thinking I may give the pinesol mix a try. I have a master cylinder that has been soaking in Berrymans carb cleaner for 3 days ....

I pulled it out today, did a very quick 30 second hone on the bore & it looks like it will be fine.

The reservoir has some crud in it yet, the old paint is flaking off .... Thinking the pinesol as a final rinse while I clean it ... see how it does.

Naturally after cleaned & painted would use Dot 3 brake fluid to rinse the bores before assembly.

I have never used the ultra sonic cleaner, They seem to do a pretty decent job though .... I have one on my personal want list.

Even they will not remove wasp from passages though   :P

• Confused 1

I will be honest & never owned a ultra sonic cleaner or used one.

I watch a youtube video every Sunday for a few years.

The mechanic is pretty knowledgeable & works on anything from Diesel back hoes to lawn mowers .... 1930 Dodge, Lots of variety. 

They use a ultra sonic cleaner & started out with the suggested cleaners, simple green, pinesol, vinegar  .... After a year he uses Berrymans carburetor cleaner in the new large ultra sonic cleaner. For car parts.

The original small cleaner he bought, he uses a simple household cleaner in it for things like jewelry or chrome pieces ...

Makes sense to me. A different product for different jobs.

• Like 1

I bought a ultrasonic cleaner to do my carbs, bolts, etc. When buying the rebuild kit to do my Stromberg WW 2bbl from Mike's Carburetor Parts, I asked him what type of cleaner to use. He said they use Simple Green Aircraft version, because it doesn't discolor the pot metal castings. Tried it and it worked great.

IMG_5116.JPG

IMG_5115.JPG

IMG_5113.jpg

17 hours ago, Sniper said:

I used Simple Green, original green formula, the results are similar.  Not sure what the price difference might be, if any, but the green version is easier to find.

http://www.yourolddad.com/carb-rebuild

Agreed. Nice tutorial!