B1B 48 engine information

Hi everyone,

It’s been quite a while since I’ve been on here.

life got in the way as it does unfortunately.

I’m trying to find a way forward with my truck engine, the head measures 23inches, so assume it’s the 218, not the 230?

It’s seized in the bores, so I either need to source another engine, or a block, I’d guess resleeving isn’t financially sensible.

I’d be willing to pay for an engine and arrange shipping to the UK.

I just can’t find one this side of the pond.

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

regards Jon

Don’t give up on it so quickly. My engine was seized up quite badly. I had to pull the crank out without being able to rotate it. Then I could drive the pistons down slightly with a block of wood and a big hammer and use a wire wheel and/or flapper wheel sanding drum to clean up the cylinder bores enough that I could get the pistons out. My valves were also seized into the guides. I finally got the cam to turn enough to push all of the valves open, then I could remove the cam and tappets. After hammering the valves back closed I could get the springs off, then I could then get a long punch in from the bottom to drive out the valves. My machine shop was able to bore the cylinders .0030” oversize and replace all of the valve guides and seats. They also decked the block and milled the head for me. I reassembled the engine and it’s been running without issue for the past 15+ years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Merle,

sounds like the same problem, my pistons are locked solid, you can see the corrosion on the bores encroaching onto the rings/pistons.

I’d like to keep the engine in it, but don’t know if I’m thinking illogically, a replacement would be better but I would need to assess what I have properly I guess.

Many thanks for your reply though 

these flatheads were designed to be rebuilt with ample material available for block and head machining...the block would have to be really trashed by a thrown rod or cracking to be discarded.  It takes a fair amount of work, but as Merle illustrated, these flatheads can be revived...I've done a few with varying levels of difficulty, still amazed that it can be done with the modern disposable engines that are prevalent.