One of a kind D-24

Conn47D24

The Car was made by Derham Body works which was located approx 15 miles from where I currently live here in Pa.  The old Derham body work is now a Foreign car dealership with Ferraris and other makes of cars. They are still inthe same original building and they are located in the town of Bryn Mawr PA.

I have some more information about Derham Body works.  My 1939 Desoto was sold by the Wolfington Desoto Dealership in center city Philadelphia. When the wolfington body works was first stated they did alot of custom body work.  I recently met with the Great Granson of the Wolfingtons. He now runs the Wolfington School Bus company out in Exton, PA. He told me that when his gradfather body company needed extra coach builders and if Derham Body works was slow they would hire the derham men to work for them and the reverse when they were slow the Wolfington men would go help the Derham coachbuilders.

When I took my car to the Wolfington Bus company the great grand son was very impressed with the car and we had about a 2 hour conversation about the company and the history of the dealership. The dealership was located at 34th and Chestnut Street In Philadelphia.

I love the look of the customized roof line onthe car.

Rich Hartung.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bob Riding said:

I love the upholstery. I may try to duplicate it when I do my '52 Suburban! 

Clayton: up in Conn just had the upholstery done in his dodge with the same affect and it came out looking great.

Rich Hartung

Here's a little something interesting - the heater valve is for a dual system but seems only one is installed with the other side stopped up. Was the custom originally ordered with dual heaters like a premium Desoto/Chrysler with one failing to be restored, or just a leftover part. The square plug doesn't seem to me to be stock.

image.png.912af3330900619524964449f34227d5.png

image.png

for most single line heaters like inmy 39 Desoto they used the control valve that only hand one output hose line and it was also a manual shutoff valve. The owner of this car might have found this original style heater control valve and then since he only had a single heater only hooked up the control pull wire to open only one side of the valve to permit hot water to flow to his heater unit.

This my best guess on this situation.

Rich Hartung

Similar rear window idea, different proportions.  Can you imagine?  Custom bent glass, in addition to the usual artistic tin-knocking.

Funny how design ideas kick around, and come up in different places. 

I have a series of photos of a 1942 Chrysler limo, with a curved, one-piece windshield.  That idea did not hit the market until the early '50's.   

747032698_1942ImperialLimo04.jpg.0f38b1f94f5c9c36fbf495bb1864803e.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 10:30 PM, wagoneer said:

Here's a little something interesting - the heater valve is for a dual system but seems only one is installed with the other side stopped up. Was the custom originally ordered with dual heaters like a premium Desoto/Chrysler with one failing to be restored, or just a leftover part. The square plug doesn't seem to me to be stock.

image.png.912af3330900619524964449f34227d5.png

image.png

I've seen that exact setup with the plug too for the B series trucks. 

On 1/10/2023 at 11:37 AM, DonaldSmith said:

Similar rear window idea, different proportions.  Can you imagine?  Custom bent glass, in addition to the usual artistic tin-knocking.

Funny how design ideas kick around, and come up in different places. 

I have a series of photos of a 1942 Chrysler limo, with a curved, one-piece windshield.  That idea did not hit the market until the early '50's.   

747032698_1942ImperialLimo04.jpg.0f38b1f94f5c9c36fbf495bb1864803e.jpg

i think the 42 styling is gorgeous especially in woody form . Sadly not many of that early era around anymore