Fuel pump rebuild with opposing valves.

Frank Blackstone

The original fuel pump was missing a valve assembly where one could have been installed. The pump worked fine for years but diaphragm failure necessitated a rebuild. I installed the 2 new valves from Mopar Pro supplied  without instructions. When the installed rebuild pump did not pump I looked closer  at the manual's  exploded view of dissembled pump.  The values appear to be installed in opposing  directions. This makes sense as to  why a missing valve could allow a pump  to function. Any comments or opinions are welcomed.
Thanks, Frank.

plunger down:  check valve, carb side closes; check valve, tank side opens; diaphragm draws fuel into pump
plunger up:  check valve, tank side closes; check valve, carb side opens; diaphragm pushes fuel into carb

I reckon if'n ya got a fuel line restriction, that could approximate a check valve :cool: