Dumb engine question for the day

Doug&Deb

6 minutes ago, LeRoy said:

I put the rings in the grooves dry, lube the piston and cylinder with crankcase oil when installing.

Me too.  We may not be right, but we agree!

I actually dip the piston in oil and let it drain the excess off just before putting the ring compressor on.

• Like 2

Just now, Doug&Deb said:

Let’s hope. I’m 60 years old and I decided to rebuild an engine for the first time. Fortunately it’s a spare so my car is still drivable.

I love your questions in this thread .... I am 60 years old & never rebuilt a engine.

I have always been to busy to do so, I have had engines rebuilt & installed. I have replaced heads & also maintained my vehicles .... I just never had time or interest to rebuild engines for future use.

Then I turned 60 & I have  2 engines am rebuilding ..... Is it possible 60 is a magic number?

3 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

I love your questions in this thread .... I am 60 years old & never rebuilt a engine.

I have always been to busy to do so, I have had engines rebuilt & installed. I have replaced heads & also maintained my vehicles .... I just never had time or interest to rebuild engines for future use.

Then I turned 60 & I have  2 engines am rebuilding ..... Is it possible 60 is a magic number?

I'm 60 also....

I'm 70 and haven't rebuilt an engine yet.  Lots of other stuff,,, manifolds, rebuilt carburettors, engine mounts, cooling system,electrical, etc.  but I have not dove into engine internals yet.  Never say never, but right now my engine is running fine. 

• Haha 1

Nobody touches my cars but me. Even the new ones. Been that way for 30 yrs and I'm 48. And my customers only want my hands on theirs to. I don't know what it will be like when I retire in 6 yrs.

I'll be 60 in 8 years. 60 must be the magi number. Lol. I just finished my first flathead rebuild.  I agree, its not too late to try! ?

We are more patient I think, as we age.

When I built my engine I used a mixture of half STP and half motor oil for an assembly lube. I dunked the pistons in it before I put them in and coated all the bearings with it. The engine now has about 15000 miles on it , it runs smooth and doesn't burn any oil.

• Like 1

All you young 60 year olds rebuilding engines.  I'm 70 now.  When I got the 47 P15 the PO told me that they had put a rebuilt engine in the car when they pulled it out of a field in the mid 70's and put it back on the road.  And that it only had about 10 thousand miles on it.  After all the work I've done on the car it looks like they told me the truth.  However it leaked oil from everywhere oil could leak.  Most of those leaks are fixed now.  I shouldn't have to rebuild this one.

The only dumb question is the one you ask after you make the mistake instead of asking before hand. All the manuals I've read say to use engine oil that will be in the crankcase for the rings. 

On the at or over 60 subject, (I'm 62 now) it depends on the evil life you led up till then. Retired military aircraft mechanic(Plenty of suck to go around but mostly a great time) then I spent my 50's contracting in the sand box working on helicopters for the military and civilian companies. Not a pleasant life but the experience was mostly fun and the money was great. Now after that, my wore out body is adverse to concrete and getting up from the ground is a winch and a chore I have to plan out. 

As far as doing the work myself or farming it out? Having seen the level of stupid that graduates these days, finding a qualified some one to do the work is almost as much a chore as doing it myself. I know how to do it but it takes me 4-5 times longer than it used to due to worn out body parts. (mine, not the cars)

Any how Doug&Deb ask questions before the job and ALL the great people on this site will be glad to offer their two cents. And if more than 5 of them agree it's probably the right answer. 

I hope all of you had a great Chrismas and that the New Tear will be even better.

Joe Lee