Spring in December - bonus garage day !

Conn47D24

Nice work.  That's a neat accessory, that MoPar hand pump, but I'd hate to have to use it - imagine the workout!  A thought, could one, or two, of those repro flashlight holders be modified to serve as hand-pump mounts?   Your continued progress and enthusiasm, especially in the middle of "winter", is refreshing.  We're having a warm winter up here in Maine, too, but that means I'll be getting a start on outside stuff that I usually put off until spring, so I'll have only 3 months of winter to clean up, rather than the usual 6.  The ol' D24 gets regular TLC during the winter, nice to have a heated garage up here.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

the industry name for the clips Dan is referring to are known as TERRY clips.....

It is amazing how knowing the name of an item can really help find one.  I have run into that in the past.

Years ago (15?) I put up a whiteboard in my garage and I wanted something more durable than a dry eraser marker but less durable than a Sharpie.  We used to use something  that would work just right when I was in the Navy.  We called it a grease pencil.  I looked and googled to no avail.  Till I found out it's "official" name was a china marker.  Boom, got me a dozen, lol.  Nowadays, you can google grease pencil and they are all over the place.

Thanks PA.

Took advantage of the warm temps here in central California (no, I don't say "Cali") to paint my '56 230 that I'm rebuilding. My grandson was very interested and so I had him be the masking tape remover. Smart kid!

IMG_5060.jpeg

IMG_5062.jpeg

• Like 2

if it is any help most of the smaller clips of this nature that one may need are made by Seastrom....can be expensive, can luck onto a good many for an excellent price.  I use a few larger ones and many smaller ones on the Morris van, for making my own rendition of a shifter pin clip about 1" in diameter down to 1/4 for things like rear van door latch stowage and 5/16, 3/8 etc for clipping the lug wrench and jack crank in place so not to rattle.  The British cars and a few German cars of vintage used number of sizes for many items located in the stowage area.   Terry clips are usually for the larger diameter items and often a British market item.  Seastrom is US...mil spec items for the most part.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Speaking of clips and rattling, is there an official way to stow the jack, jack base, wheel chock and tire iron? Mine are just stick behind the spare wrapped in a couple of old towels. There's gotta be a better way.

the jack would be just for show as I have never liked the typical bumper jack.  I find a scissors jack more user friendly and safter and have one sitting on a pad of carpet and secured with a screw behind the spare, out of sight.  The tire iron and the jack handle is stored it's bag as from the donor vehicle, currently that is behind the spare also.  I am running a compact spare as there is no way my street tire and rim will fit the well.   I have an eye out for a small tray to lay this bag into as I have the perfect place to mount that.  All in what one wants...this pic was taken while mocking it all up.  

100_1602.JPG

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Conn47D24 said:

PA, I like this.   No way I'm using a bumper jack on my chrome ?

all my chrome came pre scratched in all the right areas, if I used a bumper jack it'd just scratch off rust

• Haha 1

that jack is '04 Dodge Dakota, the crank is sectional and thus you snap it together for the length you need for whatever corner you are working.  The tire iron and the crank are in a stitched vinyl pouch to prevent rattling and looks good when stored.  Of course you or anyone else is free to use what is at hand or available in your local wrecking yard....just listing what I used as it may be of help to you.  IF you wish a tray for the tools to lay into, again, look to mother Mopar circa '96 full size with the bulkhead storage behind the seat....

IMG_0512.JPG

• Like 1

Jack storage on my 1947 DeSoto Suburban: 

Hydraulic scissors jack opened tight against a wood block that i added  under spare tire support.  (Original wood-grain Bakelite fender liner.)

(The spare tire and the wood floor panel that fits around it have been removed.)

(I made wood blocks and wheel chocks and I store them under the wood floor in a terrycloth pouch.) 

(The metal panel at the top of the picture is the open lid of a vintage toolbox.) 

image.jpeg.85d4e4a645de623f78cdc398a06121ef.jpeg 

• Like 2

One of the reasons I like this Forum, the regular provision of "duh" moments.  It never in over 30 years occurred to me to use a scissor jack for our D24, so much easier to store securely.  I keep a small hydraulic floor jack in the trunk that I've never actually used.  I don't remember where I got it, but I do recall that it was free, and I picked it up just to use for the Dodge.  I'd keep an original bumper jack in it just for the sake of having an original bumper jack, but it is not something I lose sleep over.    

I snagged one of these fold up 4 way lug wrenches...it is for the smaller lug nuts as is on the Morris LCV.  Compact footprint, hopefully it will stay together for me and on that build I would love to have the original Shelley jack and while not off the wall for buying, off the wall for shipping from the UK, so improvised here with a scissors also and dedicated mounting for the jack and crank.  The original lug wrench is also the engine cranking lever.  

On 12/31/2022 at 10:22 AM, Bob Riding said:

Took advantage of the warm temps here in central California (no, I don't say "Cali") to paint my '56 230 that I'm rebuilding. My grandson was very interested and so I had him be the masking tape remover. Smart kid!

IMG_5060.jpeg

IMG_5062.jpeg

Saying 'Frisco" does not sit well with the Bay area residents

I took the mild weather break to pull and clean my snow blower carbs, one is a 30 plus year old Techumseh engine one, the other a 2 year old Troy bilt with about 2.5 hours on it.  Guess which one had more problems with clogged passages?  Yes the old one runs on 87 erhanol, the new one 91 non eth with 3 ounces of seafoam in the half gallon plastic tank.  

• Like 1