Turn signals for 47 WC

dgrinnan

My 47 WC did not come with a turn signal switch.   Are these lights supposed to be turn signal or are they for something else. (stock photo, not my truck) I am attempting to track down an authentic turn signal switch.  If I find one I was not sure what I should connect to it.  My new tail lights have a dual filament bulb and I know how to wire them but was not sure about up front. 

Lights.jpg

Edited by dgrinnan

Same with my 1949 .... The trucks did not have the luxury of turn signals. All were added on aftermarket or possibly from the dealer.

The cowl lights you have circled would be a poor choice imho, because they sit so far back from the front.

They sell a universal turn signal switch for old vehicles. sigstat 900 is what I ordered the other day from ebay.

NEW Old Stock Signal Stat Model 900 Sigflare Turn Signal Hazard Switch Truck-76

You will not get this one, because it is on it's way to my house   :D

There are several available & some new replacements with a plastic chrome housing .... I chose old original. Then you will need a flasher plug & harness.

Rear light are easier because the turn signal shares the same circuit as the brake lights you do have.

The front is more tricky. Was common to add turn signal lights to the top of the fenders ... Not very cute but very "truck like"

1228221134.jpg.a156de29f56970311303943caba3c5ac.jpg..

I have parking lights on the front of my truck .... I think I will use these for the front .... just not sure how yet.

The photo you share, the guide lights on top of the headlights have been used for turn signals .... you need to choose what to do for your needs.

Thanks, I knew those lights were referred to as cowl lights but I was not clear what they were supposed to be used for.  I am assuming some sort of running light.  I agree with you on finding an original instead of a new replica.  I have until spring to figure it out. 

You could add something behind the grill also .... too hide the ugly.

My problem using my parking lights .... they are single element ... not sure they would be bright enough.

I could drill them out & install a 1157 bulb holder using a dual element same as rear lights.

Just torn with this idea because they really are in very good condition .... not sure I want to cut & modify to accept a different bulb holder.

Decisions, Decisions.

Edited by Los_Control

Headlight bulbs with built in turn signal light in the lower part??

image.png.108d62f695ef1616a9ea7bbd5250d880.png

DJ

I am running the signal stat 900 in my 46 and using the cowl lights as the front signals. Haven't noticed any issues with other drivers not seeing them. There were no factory available ones so to be truly vintage you'd have to drill a hole and add lights. I've seen them on the headlights, down in the fender valley (my 47 has lights there I'll be reusing) or even sticking sideways out of the grill. Personally I'd either use the cowl lights or add something on the front bumper/frame horns.

21 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Same with my 1949 .... The trucks did not have the luxury of turn signals. All were added on aftermarket or possibly from the dealer.

The cowl lights you have circled would be a poor choice imho, because they sit so far back from the front.

They sell a universal turn signal switch for old vehicles. sigstat 900 is what I ordered the other day from ebay.

There are several available & some new replacements with a plastic chrome housing .... I chose old original. Then you will need a flasher plug & harness.

Rear light are easier because the turn signal shares the same circuit as the brake lights you do have.

The front is more tricky. Was common to add turn signal lights to the top of the fenders ... Not very cute but very "truck like"

I have parking lights on the front of my truck .... I think I will use these for the front .... just not sure how yet.

The photo you share, the guide lights on top of the headlights have been used for turn signals .... you need to choose what to do for your needs.

there's no mystery which keys get the most use on your keyboard :) 

• Like 1

At one time Signalstat sold a turn signal switch # 800.  An 8 wire system.  It uses the single element parking lights in front as turn signals.  Still have parking lights….  I had one on my 50 Chevy truck, and got it all to work, but don’t remember the wiring. 

image.jpeg.24152aafa5cf7ab818215e52d6882b9e.jpeg

Edited by DakotaFrank
Add schematic drawing.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a 900 signal stat on my '42 Fargo with 6 volts. Installed 6 volt fog lights on the front bumper for the turn signals.

20220131_115411 (2).jpg

Edited by 1949 Wraith

On 12/28/2022 at 11:50 AM, Los_Control said:

That park light looks similar to my '56.   I removed the original bulb sockets and brazed in a new one intended for 1157 bulbs.   It had been converted before but badly so I put new sockets in.  The hole in the light actually fit the snap-in replacements but I didn't trust that for ground hence the brazing.  They will also get a soldered on ground lug and that will go to a chassis ground.  Also removed a switch like the one you ordered, but probably new in the late 50s.  I won't need it due to the new (80 Firebird) tilt column with dimmer and turn signals integral.

I know it could be converted to use a dual filament bulb. Just not sure that is what I want though. I do like the idea of mounting lights on the frame horn ....

just depends on what style you are looking for.

For a custom or street rod, even a simple upgrade to original ... they look fine. Just small & maybe hard to see.

Since I'm going for the larger mirrors, cab lights, mud flaps, cb antenna, 4 tail lights .... I want more cow bell for front turn signals  :D 

I also am using the cowl lights for the turn signals on my project I picked up the "kit " from DCM new cowl lights complete the old ones were shot all rusted to bits LOL with a two element bulb the only thing I did not like was the ground wire was soldered on to the base it fell off the first time it put them together so I riveted the ground now its much better connection so far so good