Rear Axle help

moparfun

This summer I found a complete 11 bolt 3.54 carrier with the same case number. I had a local tranny shop inspect it and now ready to swap out the 3.91, it has been fun over coming issues like having to make an axle puller (simple adapter for my morgan nocker, Slide hammer) I went to the hardware store and found a bolt that fit the end of the axle and a coupling that fit the morgan nocker and welded them up. I tried the using the drum to pull axles off and it was not happening. Also made a tool to remove the yoke so the seal can be replaced on the bench. Any way I got everything apart only to find that the new carrier has 16 splines and the old has 10 splines. So I guess solution is to just get 16 splined axles, so what specific axles am I looking for?

20221223_152305.jpeg

20221223_145934.jpeg

20221223_150252.jpeg

20221223_150745.jpeg

• Like 2

Probably be easier/faster to swap the axle gears in the carrier.  AFAIK, all the axle and spider gears are the same for years except for the spline count.  I once swapped the axle gears from a '65 Dart into a 55 Chrysler center section..   Yep, one tapered axle and the other with wheel flanges.  Years apart, direct swap.  

I think they come out and go in without disturbing and settings.  But, I you do need to pull the carrier, only the  carrier bearing preload and backlash would be disturbed and those are easy to reset if needed.

I am not familiar with the earlier axle assemblies, but I am familiar with the later stuff, like the 8 3/4 I setup for my Cuda.  You don't need to mess with the carrier bearings of backlash just to change out the side gears.  So I looked at the FSM, and the earlier axle setup looks real similar, however it is not apparent how the pinion shaft lock pin is removed.  Oh never mind I RTFM and the hole the lock pin is inserted into is peened to keep the pin in place.  That will be fun. 

17 hours ago, kencombs said:

I once swapped the axle gears from a '65 Dart into a 55 Chrysler center section..   Yep, one tapered axle and the other with wheel flanges.

Thats interesting. I would not think the "hogs head would even bolt into the axle housing. Shows you what I know  :D

I once had a 1961 dodge truck I bought from BIL. He took out the original 4:10 posi & swapped in some highway gear set. "He thought it was cool"     I hated it.

BIL gave me the original posi rear end & I swapped it back in, took about 45 minutes.

I worked with a guy who had a 1969 Road Runner 383/4spd & he wanted that posi real bad. His original posi was blown up. He offered to swap me his non posi 410 + $$ for my posi .... I was too dumb & did not trade him. I just wanted my truck original.

Today I would be more concerned his car be original.

These rear ends are easy to swap around the center sections.

Ok so I am a novice to this end of the car other than brakes, axle bearings and ujoints I have never messed with carriers or gears so I'm not that confortable taking it apart. I've looked on line and it is still not really clear to me. The carriers are not identical so can the axle gears still be swapped?

20221227_154513.jpeg

• Like 1

Update, I talked to Mike at MIKECO not only did he have answers but I was able to get a Hollander (what a wealth of information) from him which explains all of this. I also got the right axles and some shims from Mike. So now I know and want to pass it on, the spline difference is that 1950-52 are 10 spline, 1953-56 are 16 spline. The carrier I got 3.54 is for a car with an automatic tranny so that is the difference in carriers. Now that I think it's all sorted out I'll keep you posted as I make progress and get it back on the road. I hope this helps the next guy out

• Like 1

I ran into the same problem I grabbed a 3.54 off Ebay thinking it would be an ez swap. Turns our the pumpkin on my 49 was an 11 bolt carrier and not a 10 bolt. you would think the main gear would be interchangeable but this is over my paygrade

• 4 weeks later...

Update, the 50 is back on the road the gear change made a huge and pleasant difference. There was a learning curve on shims for the axles, I read the books and all the info I could find and still did't have a clear understanding so I proceeded anyway, once the axles were in place it all made sense. As you can see in the pics I opted not to disconnect the brake lines because I did't know how long the project would take, removed the axle vent and covered the hole to keep dirt out giving enough play to move the drums back and forth also I did't install the outer seals until the endplay on the axles was dialed in. Really happy with the results.

20230117_124359.jpeg

20230126_111942.jpeg

• Like 2

So you used later 16 spline axles to fit the 3:54 ratio carrier?

That instead of taking the carrier all apart?

..I know 1953-54 16 spline Plymouth axles and probably others swap length for length compared to the 10 spline 1950-52 Plymouth axles.

Yes those are American torque thrust 15x7 with 245/60 rear 215/65 front tires and yes instead of taking the carrier apart I just got the 16 spline axles. Big difference going down the highway able to run with traffic and still have some throttle.

• Like 1