opinions on antifreeze?

Los_Control

The cold weather has me thinking about antifreeze ..... I'm really oldschool & always just use the green prestone for everything.

Now I have done a little research, seems we have different versions  (colors) of antifreeze because we have different materials in our modern coolant systems.

Aluminum radiators, engines, intakes .... plastic components also on modern cars ..... I get it, different antifreeze for different materials.

Then I read that some modern vehicles come with a coolant anode. This is a aftermarket one to add to your vehicle.

The Flex-a-lite Zinc Anode protects aluminum components in the cooling systems from corrosion and damage that could be caused by electrolysis or coolant additive breakdown.

Flex-a-lite Radiator Zinc Anode

Many here have original cooling systems including radiators ..... guessing the Green is just fine.

Many here have aluminum radiators, head, intake ...... Is the green still adequate?

How many have added a sacrificial anode to their system? .... is it worth it?

How often do you change your antifreeze?

Many car manufacturers suggest every 30k miles ..... That could be several years for some of our old vehicles. Must be a age limitation on it?

Will a anti freeze tester be adequate .... If I check my 4 year old coolant, is good for -20 temps .... When should I change it?

Just curious what others do when it comes to maintaining their cooling systems.

Every small block Mopar from 1970 onward had aluminum water pumps, they all had aluminum timing covers.  Green worked for them.  The key isn't so much what color it is so much as how often you need to change it out.  The old school stuff needed it yearly, modern stuff can go much longer.  problem is no one checks it except for a few cranks like us, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In a way I really am thinking about my OT 1991 chebby truck. But think it also fits with all of our cars.

When I bought that truck 4.5 years ago, I went through the complete cooling system 4 years ago, April will be 5 years. Flush, new hoses, water pump, T-stat ...

I think this spring I will call it, & give it another good flush, inspect everything & fresh coolant. ... I drive it 3k-4k miles a year.

Maintenance is more important than color, agreed.   At least IMHO. Dad bought a new Ford Taurus in about 86.  Probably never changed it.   I was driving it after he passed in 95.   Taking Mom somewhere and noticed the temp would rise whenever it idled and the heater was almost non-existent.   Very low water flow.   Pulled the pump and found that almost all the impeller was rusted away.   Ford saved a few cents using plain stamped steel instead of cast or stainless.  

On 12/25/2022 at 8:58 PM, Sniper said:

Mopar used stamped steel impellers for decades, just about every small or big block on the street.  Not sure I'd blame Ford for that one.

Yeah, I've had 318a, 273s and a few B series but never lost a WP.  Lucky, maintenance or maybe Mopar used a better alloy.  Wouldn't take much nickle in it to prevent rusting.

22 hours ago, kencombs said:

Yeah, I've had 318a, 273s and a few B series but never lost a WP.  Lucky, maintenance or maybe Mopar used a better alloy.  Wouldn't take much nickle in it to prevent rusting.

I have only seen it one time. A friend had a 1967 Dart with a 360 in it. He was a fair mechanic, he tried everything to diagnose his overheating.

Finally pulled the waterpump & saw the impeller was toast. Mopar was not safe from the issue either.

On 12/27/2022 at 5:52 AM, chris 48 P15 said:

i use an antifreeze tester and color change method 

Fair enough.

If I read on the internet, new car warranty wants it changed every 30k miles.

Antifreeze manufacturers want it changed every year.      Boost the profit margin.

I was just surprised reading on another forum where the guys with their $100K Hot Rods with the Chrome Flat Heads & blowers blah blah blah ....

Talking about antifreeze was just like talking about engine oils  ??? ..... Then the subject of using coolant anode .....How many were using them.

I like @Sniper response, cars for many years have been using mixes of aluminum, brass, iron & green prestone worked just fine.

I will use the same in my 1949 truck also.

Then there needs to be a limit on how long between changes. ..... I checked mine in my daily driver & it is good for -35, is very clean & green, looks new.

I only drive 4k-6k miles a year, I change my oil spring & fall every 6 months .... not by miles.

This spring the antifreeze will be 5 years old. I think this spring will be a good time to give it a vinegar flush & check the hoses/clamps etc.... Then call it a day.

I learned a lesson with the 98 Subaru that I inherited several years ago:  coolant changes pH over time.  On modern engines, this has a deleterious effect on the super thin head gaskets that can cause them to fail.  On older engines, that water pump impeller is the weak spot as already mentioned.  On the antique engines, the radiator might suffer from corrosion.

Knowing this, Dad bought a 10 yr old cab tractor that was stored in a barn and rarely used.  I told him that cooling system needed going through, and we were both surprised by the amount of chocolate milk that came out of the rad and block drains.  Hoses were getting hard, and thermostat had signs that it was sticking., so they got replaced as well.

My philosophy on coolant is to use the mfg requirements as a guide since they try to scare the ignorant into slightly excessive maintenance.   Modern engines with 2 yr intervals I stretch to 3 or 4, depending on usage and coolant appearance...teeny tiny brown dots in a sample after operation tells me it's time for a flush.  Older equipment that gets light use, like my Pilot-House buggies, get the 5-7 year treatment, and that's mainly because I am replacing hoses that are starting to get hard; Peak green in them old things.  New vehicles that have that 100k interval or 10yr OAT, well I haven't messed with those yet...but that day is approaching...