Merry Christmas Everyone

James_Douglas

Hello All,

I have been busy in 1964 Chrysler land taking that 92K mile original C-300K and going through it as the replacement daily driver for the 1947 Desoto Suburban. No quite there yet, in another month or so it should be ready for daily driving duties.

Then, at some point I can take the '47 apart for a long needed rebuild from end to end.

At least the '64 has air conditioning.

I do hope everyone has a Merry Christmas, Great Hanukkah, Great Kwanzaa or just an opportunity to read a good book.

I raise a glass to all of those who keep the Rolling Museum Pieces on the road and wish you a Happy New Year.

James Douglas
San Francisco

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

thanks and right back at ya...!!!!!!!!!!  With grand kids, in-laws and such, the traditional Christmas eve will be at my place and Christmas day for the in-law side of the family.   We will have our meal and later open the gifts and after a bit of family fun, I can settle in for the evening and maybe relax a bit.  I try to stay out of the stores as it draws near Christmas but I did have to get a few 'last minute' items....I shopped the commissary as there is hardly any traffic on the back road to the base compared to the towns.  

I will be baking my pies tonight I suppose so not to be in mums way tomorrow.....you folks do enjoy the season, family and friends.....

• Like 1

Same to everyone here from Valley Forge, PA.

I lie about 2 miles from the Valley Forge National Park in which George Washington and his troops spent the Winter Encampment. They had to survive in very harsh conditions in log cabins that only had a small fireplace for heat.

Every Xmas time they have reenactors at some of the cabins to show the public what it was like back in the 1775 era.

I thank God that these brave souls all came forward to risk life and limb to fight for our country and democracy. These souls would all have been hanged as traitors if we did not defect the English.  They stood up for our rights and freedoms and so many people of today forget about what they fought for.

Most people get upset when they do not have their internet, or lose their electricity and can not watch their TV, or play their games on their computer.  We all have forgotten that the most important thing is our freedom is to visit other people in our family in other states, have a meal and to laugh with each other.  Some people in the US are old and do not have any close relatives so we all should be looking out for these members of our society.

We all have taken our liberties for granted and it is getting worse as each year passes. We all need to get back to those simple acts of life and treat all humans with respect.  That is my Xmas wish for this year and for the New Year.  Make it a simple task to help someone that you do not know and you will get a greater inner wealth and understanding of yourself.

Rich Hartung

Here in Valley Forge, PA.

• Like 4

Merry Christmas to everyone.   My wife and I and our son and his family are all waiting for Santa and baking cookies.  We had some freezing rain and a dusting of snow last night and the DPW dumped many truck loads of salt on the roads.  My Dodge is in hibernation until spring.  

Dave B.

• Like 1

Yes Merry Christmas. May you all enjoy peace, happiness and prosperity through this holiday season and the New Year. Family all together today despite -40C weather, snow and wind. Looking forward to many surprises tomorrow and maybe a few specialty items for an old car?????  Dave

• Like 1

Well, after the eve of Christmas meal and gift opening, followed by Christmas day breakfast prepared for the grandparents by my son as we watch the grandkids with their toys and gifts.  I ventured home and after one movie, cabin fever starting setting in fast.  While still cold, the temperatures were slowly rising to high 30's and the winds had subsided so I ventured to the outdoors and spent some time fabricating my capture mount brackets for the gantry crane I am building and it felt great to do some fabricating and burn through a few welding rods.  These have now been processed to the point of spraying primer.  So, yes I am claiming a very merry Christmas for myself.  Hope you all had a good day no manner how you spent it.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

Christmas was indeed good.  Got our power back on (went out again Christmas Eve) just in time to cook an early dinner.  Just me and the Missus and minimal drama from the family.  Ended up entertaining myself for a while by the simplest of means, feeding the chickadees, nuthatches, cardinals, grosbeaks, dove, and blue jays (our usual winter residents).  The chickadees around here are rather bold for such little buggers.  Had them eating out of my hand within a few minutes.  Happy New Year to everyone!  

• Like 1

Dan I am not sure if you know this but not too far from where I live, some 30 miles is Ludlow Castle. Construction started in 1085. Its interesting how many towns in America are named after English towns.

Photo

Edited by SteveR
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveR said:

Dan I am not sure if you know this but not too far from where I live, some 30 miles is Ludlow Castle. Construction started in 1085. Its interesting how many towns in America are named after English towns.

And how many towns in the western US are named after towns in the eastern US (which were often named after towns in England).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just the wife & I, we do not bother with gifts ... if we want something we just get it.

We do enjoy a nice dinner on Holidays/birthdays .... sadly my dressing came out a little dry this time  :(

I do feel really good today. I got tied up with working on the kitchen .... I waited til after Thanksgiving .... It took me right up to Christmas to finish my work.

I have all my honey doo's out of the way.

The bad weather is out of the way.

I have a full tank of gas for the welder ..... I have time to work on my truck  :)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Los_Control said:

sadly my dressing came out a little dry this time  :(

Ooo, I believe that the turkey is a vehicle for the stuffing.

Whats your recipe?

20 hours ago, SteveR said:

Photo

Yes, I'm aware of the several Ludlows in the U.S., and even the castle there in England.  And even though I'm a bit of a history buff and on the Ludlow Selectboard (town council), I have no idea where Ludlow, Maine got its name, there is no exact record of it, just assumptions.  Could very well have originated over there.  (Now I gotta do more research.)  And, no, we're not the same "Ludlow" as in Steven King's "Pet Semetary".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteveR said:

Ooo, I believe that the turkey is a vehicle for the stuffing.

Whats your recipe?

I cook it in a pan, will have more control over it.

This time I was not happy with the dried croutons. They literally were harder then rocks .... I should have just made my own.

Sooo, my dressing this time tasted fine, just not perfect.

13 hours ago, Los_Control said:

I cook it in a pan, will have more control over it.

I always stuff the bird. I make good use of every nook and cranny. I salt the cavities and rub the salt in, then stuff it. I use different pieces of bread including Soft Pumpernickel the onions and celery are softened in butter with sage, salt, and thyme.

Mine comes out perfect every time.

Thats one of the great things about Christmas.... traditions.

4 hours ago, SteveR said:

I always stuff the bird. I make good use of every nook and cranny. I salt the cavities and rub the salt in, then stuff it. I use different pieces of bread including Soft Pumpernickel the onions and celery are softened in butter with sage, salt, and thyme.

Mine comes out perfect every time.

Thats one of the great things about Christmas.... traditions.

Thats the way my mother cooked it, in the turkey.  I started that way also.

I use a electric roasting pan to cook the turkey in, so I have use of the oven. I use a medium sized roasting pan for dressing .... = almost twice the amount you can stuff into a bird .... with less hassle.

Also I tend to add meat to the dressing, I like oysters .... this year I used giblets from the turkey. .... I like to cook the dressing separate as I have more control over the cooking times.

This year I used the store bought croutons just to use them up & get rid of them .... I prefer making my own.  They were fine.

My mistake was when I removed the lid for the final 20 minutes to crispen the top layer, I may have got busy and waited 30 min instead.

The top 1" was golden brown & crisp, while the next 6" was nice & moist .... Some may like it this way.

Me I pour gravy over everything anyways & it just does not matter.

Guess I just needed something to complain about  ;)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

I like to cook the dressing separate as I have more control over the cooking times.

There is never enough stuffing.

I sent you a PM

Glad to read the stories from everyone. I love the Holidays starting with turkey for $.59lb at Thanksgiving. We gathered at my sisters for a great Thanksgiving meal and the following day I cooked a 26lb turkey because as mentioned there is never enough. Our family stuffs the turkey and does a separate pan of stuffing for those with a preference. 

I used the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas to take down 4 tall pines by the road. 3 had died and 1 had some growth at the top. The weather outlook was good for the week, so I cut them high and then used a machine to pull them with the stumps. Cut and cleared just before the big freeze hit us and got to burn some calories before the Xmas spread. All is good and with Christmas behind us I'm looking forward to the New Year.

Have a safe and happy New Year everyone

• Like 1