Using a cold chisel

Rodney_Hamon

While cleaning the bed hooks I found 3 that had cold chisel cuts from where the frozen bolt held it on. I vaguely remember cold chiseling some of the rusted nuts/bolts off. My dad used to say use a cold chisel because it can be faster. I don’t know if I should say it was way more normal back in the day but it was... We are spoiled with all the bitchin tools we have available to us now...but don’t get me wrong...it’s a good thing. Do all of you use a cold chisel now and again for those certain things  you can’t get the angle grinder or dremel etc to ?   I remember using it a lot more back in the 70’s. Ha

20A78F2E-4677-4946-AE0F-BAC635FBD06B.jpeg

A cold chisel is a bit crude .... certainly does get the job done though.

I used a cold chisel several weeks ago to remove the bed strips that are spot welded to the bed side.

I think a better man than me would have drilled out the spot welds .... Horse Pucky!!

15 minutes with the cold chisel & the strips were removed, I spent a little time with a hammer/dolly cleaning the holes up. Then I used the same holes to spot weld the new strip.  Then I needed to grind the weld down .... no harm no foul .... cold chisel made quick work removing the bed strips.

I will remember the cable trick. The reason I brought the chisel subject up was how clean the cut seemed on the hooks. I must have missed and left a nice over cut on a couple hooks.  I was just a “green” 19 yr old with a chisel. And yes I had to chisel a couple chassis rivets off when I moved the gas tank back 8”. I have better aim now. Lol 

Yep, I have a handy dandy set of cold chisels that I use relatively often.  Just chiseled a couple stripped, rusty nuts off a bumper last week.  I've got most of the other sexy tools that can do the same job, but still find the chisels quite useful for various tasks.

My late father-in-law was a master carpenter and he and I were making a trailer hitch for one of my cars.  We used fairly thick angle iron for the main bracket.  He started using a saw, then said he had a better idea.   He cut the notches we needed with a cold chisel and big hammer.  Impressive!

if it's any consolation, every chisel I own is now a cold chisel.....a very uncommon for our area 6 degrees this morning...it is good the winds did die down since early morning....the sunrise was a very distinct pink and blue combination.   Merry Christmas to all and to all a few chunks of firewood...!!

And to all on this most excellent forum   I learn and have learned so much here and am thankful for the facts and the yuks that makes a hard day less hard. Merry Christmas and a good New Year  !!

67D960BE-6BF4-4264-8AF5-72BD3E726B6D.jpeg