1953 Dodge B4-KA-128

JKochis82

Good morning, New to the forum, thought I would put a few photos up on my latest project. I picked this truck up down in Connecticut back in January of this year. As the title states, its a 53' B4-KA 128 with a Marion dump body on it. I dont have any history on the truck at all, its been off the road since 1978(last reg sticker on the plate). Engine didnt turn, after sitting with ATF, diesel and acetone in the cylinders for a few months, I got it free'd up and running, it moves, and the dump body goes up and down. This fall I pulled the hydrovac until off, the master cylinder, those are both rebuilt and ready to reinstall. I worked with Geoff at Alretta truck parts and secured new hoses and wheel cylinders, I relined the front shoes, waiting to get the rears apart. 

I just received the build card for the truck as well, have to get that decoded now. I will get more photos in the spring when I get it pulled out from winter storage. 

B41.jpg

B42.jpg

B43.jpg

82842249[16157].pdf

82842249.jpg

Edited by JKochis82
Add Photo
  • Like 2

Welcome aboard!

Not too many here with the bigger tonnage trucks.

There's a lot of knowledge here to help you if needed too.

You have made quick progress so farin a short time.

Do you have the 265 twin carb/exhaust engine?

That was started in the 1953 2-1/2 ton "K" series trucks.

Just now, Dodgeb4ya said:

Welcome aboard!

Not too many here with the bigger tonnage trucks.

There's a lot of knowledge here to help you if needed too.

You have made quick progress so farin a short time.

Do you have the 265 twin carb/exhaust engine?

That was started in the 1953 2-1/2 ton "K" series trucks.

Thank you DodgeB4ya, Unfortunately its not the dual carb/exhaust setup. When I was driving down to get it, I was hopeful as there were not any engine photos, but no such luck. I'm also in the process of restoring my late cousins 86 W150, otherwise I would be further along on this beauty. 

If your truck has the original 265 engine the serial number will start out

TX318-xxxx

You are a busy guy!

Welcome aboard from down in NZ. Looks like a good project. Through lurking around here on the truck side of the forum I see some knowledgeable people and lots of good projects. Am keen on finding a mopar truck to be my next project now that my car is all but done. Have memories of the old trucks that did the work servicing  the farm when I was a nipper...I like the big ones...look forward to seeing your progress.

54 minutes ago, sidevalvepete said:

Welcome aboard from down in NZ. Looks like a good project. Through lurking around here on the truck side of the forum I see some knowledgeable people and lots of good projects. Am keen on finding a mopar truck to be my next project now that my car is all but done. Have memories of the old trucks that did the work servicing  the farm when I was a nipper...I like the big ones...look forward to seeing your progress.

Thank you sidevalvepete!

14 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

Looks like a great project to me ..... I would love to have it myself, since I live in town I sadly would find little use for it    :(

Looking at your photos, I have a feeling you will keep that old girl hopping with getting the chores done   :)

Welcome aboard!

Thank you Los_Control, I do tend to use my rigs. Been in the antique vehicle hobby my entire life, always believed they were made to be used, not just looked at. We used to get looks all the time making a dump run in the 1915 Model T Canopy delivery truck. I fully intend on taking this truck to the gravel quarry and have it loaded up with stone for the driveway, load of firewood etc!

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, wallytoo said:

i'd like more pics of the hoist.  my '48 has a marion hoist in it, too.

PB222591.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg

Wally, I can get some in the spring when I pull it out. It looks almost identical to yours. In your second photo, far right I see your data tag, this is mine from the same location. 

Data Tag.jpg

cool!

i've never scraped the paint off of my data tag.  i would have known much sooner than a year ago that i had a marion hoist if i'd bothered to do so.  but, i saw an identical hoist on Bring-a-Trailer.  it was completely restored and beautiful.  and then i knew what i had!

this is the BaT one - i WISH it were mine.

marion-hoist.jpg

P1120005.jpg

Edited by wallytoo

5 minutes ago, wallytoo said:

cool!

i've never scraped the paint off of my data tag.  i would have known much sooner than a year ago that i had a marion hoist if i'd bothered to do so.  but, i saw an identical hoist on Bring-a-Trailer.  it was completely restored and beautiful.  and then i knew what i had!

this is the BaT one - i WISH it were mine.

marion-hoist.jpg

P1120005.jpg

There is one down in PA for sale on ebay, no body, just the working hoist. Gentleman claims off a 2.5 tonner, has the dump body brackets on it still.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254620215279?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338722076&toolid=10001

9 minutes ago, wallytoo said:

i'm over near new london.  have a few timber harvest projects to do in charlestown next year (actually, they'll take several years).

Not far away at all, Im sure to see you if you have your truck

1 hour ago, jsd245 said:

I saw this truck on Facebook. I briefly considered picking it up for parts. I remember it said it was a 5 speed which I thought was interesting g. 

I saw it and didn't need it, but got it for $500 so couldn't pass it up. My buddy was bugging me to sell him my 46 1-1/2 ton so let that one go to make room.