1940s San Francisco street movie

Pete

Lot's of Mopars and other fun stuff. A couple of boring bits, but worth watching all the way through. Be sure to start it at the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COon-l5PM3Q&t=215s

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used to live about 3-4 blocks away from Playland at the Beach, on 47th avenue just east of The Great Highway.  I don't remember much of the stuff that was shown in that video, as I was there in the mid 1960s and not the '40s, but I do remember going to the fun house when I was about 7 years old and doing the indoor slide.  I also remember Laffing Sal, an animatronic that greeted folks when they came in.  In 1972 a developer, Jeremy Ets-Hokin, bought some of that land, tore down the park and put in a couple of high-rise condominium buildings, which as I understand, failed at first.  The rest he turned into a big parking lot.  Too bad Playland at the Beach couldn't hang on for a few more years.  I think it could have been revived as a major attraction in the 1980s-1990s.