Engine/Bellhousing Dowel Pins

RobertKB

I have an old engine I want a few parts off and the pressure plate and clutch disc are a couple of items. I’ve had the head off and this engine is beyond totally frozen. I cannot turn it over to be able to get and the bolts holding on the pressure plate so removing the bellhousing is required. I have all the bolts out and the only thing holding the bellhousing in place are the two dowel pins used for alignment. You can’t see them in the picture but they do not allow the bellhousing to be removed. It only goes back a short distance before hitting the flywheel and cannot be lifted up because the dowel pins will not allow it. 

I seem to remember I had this problem decades ago on a different engine. I don’t think you can drive the pins further into the bellhousing as they won’t go far enough to allow removal. I think this engine was worked on at some point and the mechanic drove the pins in too far. 

My question is what do I need to do to remove the bellhousing? I vaguely seem to remember laboriously using a hacksaw years ago to cut the pins. I have an angle grinder now but if there’s another option that doesn’t involve cutting the pins, I’m all ears. 

C803824E-F59C-4DBF-9DB8-0C3B72623DD1.jpeg.81418a46b9347c963b7628ec66389d16.jpeg

ADBC20FF-1519-4CA3-9325-4C43A25505DB.jpeg.55a76c089ddbbe59f4c5339d3a64fc03.jpeg

Edited by RobertKB

Drive the dowel pins in...that's been my go to on stuck FD engines.

Std clutch probably work too.

• Thanks 1

Update. I knocked the dowel pins in on the advice of three above members’ posts. Success! Thanks for the help!

BAFD6B1B-6C6B-4858-B62A-A1C16505014F.jpeg.c2dffa50d29130dde70d30c5a927479f.jpeg

The dowel pins can easily be knocked out of the bellhousing now that there is no flywheel interference. 

911EFDE8-98F5-483A-AF02-64A0FCDE0DF3.jpeg.755997ada2106e85dc0691fbb9a4de3f.jpeg

• Like 2