Water outet substitution

Sniper

There was a thread recently about using the later MoPar V8 water outlet.  To jump real quick to the end, it can be made to work fairly easily.  I already new that the flathead six and V8's used the same gasket there so I was pretty sure the outlet bolt spacing would also be the same, but the proof is in the pudding.  The real trick was sorting out a molded hose.  Did some poking around on the internet cam thought I might have found one.

The two main parts used

20221202_110442.jpg

• Like 2

In order to mate the outlet to the stock radiator I wanted a molded hose.  Now Dayco makes adapters that slip into the hose to neck down the inner diameter, that could work but with the height difference between the outlets the hose I have would have been too short so I would need a new hose anyway.  So then the choice is a molded hose or one of those ribbed universal types.  Both would need a 1 3/4" and 1 1/2" end.  I don't like the ribbed hoses, esthetic reasons.  SO a molded hose was sought.  Here we see the old hose compared to the one I found.

20221202_111455.jpg

Edited by Sniper
  • Like 2

I had the V8 thermostat housing as I have a 318 in the 40 Dodge & when I bought the Edgy Head it was obvious that the alloy V8 housing would suit the Flathead six so thats what I intended to do and why I mentioned it in the earlier thread................in this pic its mocked up on the Edgy head............and its nice & shiney to boot.....lol.......andyd

P1000644.JPG

• Like 2

Yes Sniper, thanks for cleaning up this topic with good info and pix’s. I do like the clean look of a molded hose that properly comes off the housing. Flex hoses always kinda look like lower radiator hoses, eh. One thing, what’s your opinion on a little blue rtv on the gasket before installation. I don’t put it on the bolts though

1 hour ago, rallyace said:

I always use a hacksaw to cut radiator hoses. It is much safer than using a utility knife.

I have a special tool to cut hoses, wherever it is. 

s-l640.jpg

As for RTV, I had a bad experience with it years ago and lost an engine, so no RTV for me ust about 100% of the time.

Thank you for posting this sniper. 
   With the stock thermostat housing, the thermostat doesn’t fit as tightly/snug  as you show in your pictures, there is approximately a 1/16” space all the way around that the thermostat can wiggle around in the housing ….. would the new V-8 housing be an upgrade or possibly do I have the wrong thermostat? 
   Also would like to ask , in the final installed photo , is that a water temperature sender you have plumbed into the base of the housing? 
 Thank you ?

8 hours ago, Saskwatch said:

Thank you for posting this sniper. 
   With the stock thermostat housing, the thermostat doesn’t fit as tightly/snug  as you show in your pictures, there is approximately a 1/16” space all the way around that the thermostat can wiggle around in the housing ….. would the new V-8 housing be an upgrade or possibly do I have the wrong thermostat? 
   Also would like to ask , in the final installed photo , is that a water temperature sender you have plumbed into the base of the housing? 
 Thank you ?

I dunno about the thermostat, the one I was running is just a modern parts store piece. 

There are two temperature switches in that spacer below my thermostat housing.  I am running a two speed electric fan and one switch is set to go on at 185 off at 175, the other at 195 off at 185.  I plan on adding AC in as well and the stock mechanical fan isn't going to cut it in west Texas in the summer. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 12/9/2022 at 6:08 PM, Sniper said:

I dunno about the thermostat, the one I was running is just a modern parts store piece. 

There are two temperature switches in that spacer below my thermostat housing.  I am running a two speed electric fan and one switch is set to go on at 185 off at 175, the other at 195 off at 185.  I plan on adding AC in as well and the stock mechanical fan isn't going to cut it in west Texas in the summer. 

Where did you get the spacer?