Pet peeves, drivers in front of me

DonaldSmith

Maybe I'm old and cranky, but some things that the driver(s) in front of me do, irritate me. 

"Complete Left Turn when Traffic Clears"  Car ahead of me in the left lane. We are waiting for oncoming traffic to clear. 

"Pull into the Intersection!", I yell.  "If you pull into the intersection and the light changes, you have the right of way and can complete your turn!"

"And maybe I'll get to turn."

They can't hear me, and if I honk, they will get flustered.  I get really flustered if the light turns red, and we couldn't move. 

Maybe some states forbid pulling into the intersection.   Maybe the driver is a college kid from some other state.  

"Left lane closed 2 miles ahead".  An interstate highway.   So many people immediately switch lanes, I guess to get it over with.  

I'm the type that will stay in the left lane until the last minute.  People get mad when I finally try to pull over into line. 

A recent example had three lanes merging into two and then one.  Two empty lanes for a few miles - go for it!

Why tell the drivers which lane will be closed?  Maybe the signs should say,  "Lane closure 2 miles ahead.  Stay in your lane."

Then "Merge Zone. Lane closed ahead, Merge right."   Or maybe the orange cones will show which way to merge.  

Stopping at the red light.  Some cars hold back one, two, or even three car lengths. 

"Move ahead; close it up!  There's cars back there that are trying to get in this lane!"

The light turns green, and there's no motion ahead of me.  "Wake up." 

After a few seconds I give the car a quick beep.  Not a mad honk, just a reminder to get moving.  If no reaction, longer beeps.   

There.  I've vented.

I read somewhere that merging is supposed to go smoother and quicker when the merging is done right where the closed lane ends.  I don't remember which State it was, but during our summer sojourn to the southwest, the DOT's signs actually told traffic to begin merging only a hundred feet or so from the lane closure.  It was only one State, though.  BUT, traffic wasn't heavy enough to make a difference when we went through, so I couldn't say if it actually works or not.  Of course, the drivers in the lane being merged into have to allow traffic to enter for that to work. 

It is indeed a violation in many States to be in the intersection when the light changes, it's considered blocking traffic.  Some States even have a "proceeding through caution" violation for driving through a yellow light.  I've had a DL in States that consider those violations, and in States that encourage drivers to, what I call, pinch off intersections to keep traffic flowing.  Through personal experience, I can tell ya you're taking your life in your hands if you're in the intersection when the light turns red in MA (well, Boston for sure), even though it's not a violation there.  That may be a disincentive to people driving out of their own State, too.   

My biggest peeve is the people who apparently do not know that when you are merging onto a freeway you are supposed to either merge smoothly or yield.  In the company truck I will pinch them off., same with people that wait till the last second to move out of a lane that is closed.  

8 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

I read somewhere that merging is supposed to go smoother and quicker when the merging is done right where the closed lane ends.  I don't remember which State it was, but during our summer sojourn to the southwest, the DOT's signs actually told traffic to begin merging only a hundred feet or so from the lane closure.  It was only one State, though.  BUT, traffic wasn't heavy enough to make a difference when we went through, so I couldn't say if it actually works or not.  Of course, the drivers in the lane being merged into have to allow traffic to enter for that to work. 

It is indeed a violation in many States to be in the intersection when the light changes, it's considered blocking traffic.  Some States even have a "proceeding through caution" violation for driving through a yellow light.  I've had a DL in States that consider those violations, and in States that encourage drivers to, what I call, pinch off intersections to keep traffic flowing.  Through personal experience, I can tell ya you're taking your life in your hands if you're in the intersection when the light turns red in MA (well, Boston for sure), even though it's not a violation there.  That may be a disincentive to people driving out of their own State, too.   

Yes, merging like that is called zipper merge and works well if everyone remembers and obeys the 'every other car in the zipper'.  But there's always one, or more, that need to be first.  I've driven through 15 states or so in the last year and most of them had similar signs in construction zones.    Makes sense a as all available lanes are used as long as possible which in theory speeds traffic flow.

OK is one of those states that doesn't encourage passing the white walkway at intersections until your path is clear for a left turn.  No marking, don't enter the cross traffic lanes, lest you be caught blocking them when the light changes.

I like the zipper idea for merging.   Something like yielding to traffic from the left in the roundabout. Something we are still getting used to around here. . 

As far as left turns, assuming that both the left turning car and oncoming traffic stop at the yellow light. it seems that if oncoming traffic is heavy, a left turn would be impossible.   Around here, major intersections will have green left turn arrows timed with the other signals.  

Back when I started driving (in Oklahoma) I never entered an intersection unless I could proceed w/o stopping.  But then I moved to Minnesota (for college), and my passengers  (Minneapolis "natives") yelled at me Get out in the intersection!  And it was true that if there was no left hand turn lane with a distinctive signal, you would basically NEVER get through unless you went out into the intersection.  We live in Ohio now, and I still go out into the intersection, but only if I am the first car in that lane.  I never follow another vehicle (making a left turn w/o a left turn green arrow) into the intersection until they clear it.

Merging at lane reduction areas:  I tend to resent the ones who rush up to the end, and then expect people to let them in.  Sure, sometime a person who is unfamiliar with the area will need to merge at the last minute.  And I try to always "extend grace" to that person, because it is only right to do so, and sometimes that's me.

Passing on the right:  Why do people choose to pass on the right when there are three lanes, the left most lane is clear, and you are traveling in the "through traffic" lane, which is the center one? (The right lane in those cases is for exiting and merging, and staying out of it if you are going on through helps ease the flow of traffic, and reduces the number of lane changes necessary.)

Riding the bumper:  People who, if they could manage to look past the vehicle directly in front of them, would see that that driver is not controlling the speed of traffic flow.  Riding their bumper is not going to help anything.

Cutting in front after passing, when the lane they are in is clear both ahead and behind them.  (This is even worse now, because our "new to us" car has that feature that will even engage the brakes if you have the cruise set, and someone gets into the set clear area.)  I could add something about the person who passes you, and then immediately slows down, but I better stop, because I'm getting on a roll here.

took a while to get used to this area, must stay a bit focused and on your toes as many would pull onto the road in your lane in a 55MPH speed zone, not speed up at all, travel some 100 yards and then turn left, signal to turn, not a chance in this lifetime....they driving like they behind the wheel of their tractor and still in the field.   

10 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

took a while to get used to this area, must stay a bit focused and on your toes as many would pull onto the road in your lane in a 55MPH speed zone, not speed up at all, travel some 100 yards and then turn left, signal to turn, not a chance in this lifetime....they driving like they behind the wheel of their tractor and still in the field.   

Yeah, that's another one there.  (I was taught to always signal before hitting the brakes.  It's kinder to the driver behind you, and safer for all concerned, because even now, some signals aren't that easily seen when the brakes lights are also on.)

I guess I have mellowed with age. I no longer feel a "need" to challenge other drivers. Whether it be the guy who crowds the merge at on ramps, the guy who can't seem to pick a lane, use signals or the tailgater. I used to challenge them all, every time accompanied by choice words and sometimes gestures. Not anymore, too much rage out there. What used to be a form of recreation for some of us has now become a deadly game of road rage. I miss the old days, when at most punches were thrown to settle all but really major disputes, and it was somewhat acceptable to hurt, or get hurt, feelings. Ah yes, the good old days............

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, oldodge41 said:

I guess I have mellowed with age. I no longer feel a "need" to challenge other drivers. Whether it be the guy who crowds the merge at on ramps, the guy who can't seem to pick a lane, use signals or the tailgater. I used to challenge them all, every time accompanied by choice words and sometimes gestures. Not anymore, too much rage out there. What used to be a form of recreation for some of us has now become a deadly game of road rage. I miss the old days, when at most punches were thrown to settle all but really major disputes, and it was somewhat acceptable to hurt, or get hurt, feelings. Ah yes, the good old days............

There are two things or settings that have drawn me away from my original easy going highway manners - big city driving, living in a tourist area, and interstate driving.  (Oh, wait, that's three...)  Sometimes I do good at ignoring the provocations of other drivers, giving grace, and attempting to accommodate the inconsiderate drivers out there (like when an on-coming vehicle crosses well into my lane to pass an Amish buggy, sometimes on a blind curve or hill), and sometimes I give into the inner meanness we all struggle with to some degree or another, the sin nature.  It is a constant struggle against the "Me First" temptation, something perhaps made worse for me by the fact that I was bullied a good deal growing up.  (I tend to take things too personal, and sometimes do not allow for "honest mistakes", of which I am also sometimes guilty.  Seemingly more often, as I grow older, or if I am really tired or preoccupied with other troubles or challenges.)

Edited by Eneto-55

One Sunday, the Reading was how we are all part of the Mystical Body, how we all have different roles but part of the one body. 

After Mass, I commented to the priest, "Sometimes when I'm driving, someone will suggest what part of the body I was." 

• Haha 2

In one of the above replies, you chose which, I read simply put.......I am tired of shelfish people......to this end I will say that I think this does come honestly with age as we in our upper years (old fogies) were never raised with the attitude of today's generation....we were raised to be courteous and respectful to others and a man's word was his bond. 

I love it when some clown blows around me on the interstate weaving in and out of traffic and I get the chance to wave a friendly greeting and honk of the horn as I pass by as the officer is writing their ticket.   While not a pet peeve per se, this falls under poetic justice...my way to vent at his placing everyone at risk.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DonaldSmith said:

One Sunday, the Reading was how we are all part of the Mystical Body, how we all have different roles but part of the one body. 

After Mass, I commented to the priest, "Sometimes when I'm driving, someone will suggest what part of the body I was." 

We've all been there!   Both sides of the accusation too.   At the risk of wandering too far into religion I'd suggest we all try to remember 'do unto others, etc'.  We'd all be better for it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

In one of the above replies, you chose which, I read simply put.......I am tired of shelfish people......to this end I will say that I think this does come honestly with age as we in our upper years (old fogies) were never raised with the attitude of today's generation....we were raised to be courteous and respectful to others and a man's word was his bond. 

I love it when some clown blows around me on the interstate weaving in and out of traffic and I get the chance to wave a friendly greeting and honk of the horn as I pass by as the officer is writing their ticket.   While not a pet peeve per se, this falls under poetic justice...my way to vent at his placing everyone at risk.

Or as the younguns say, Karma