Transmission interchange from 1940 to a 1947 Special Deluxe

RonJ

At the risk of asking a previously asked question while I wait for my parts manuals.

Is a 3 speed manual transmission in a 1940 P9 2 Dr Plymouth Sedan the same as the transmission in a 1947 Dodge Special Deluxe D25C 4 dr?

The same question for the rear axle.

The engine I know is a different size but all my research shows any parts for the transmission always list from 40-47 as fitment.

I have an opportunity to purchase the 1940 car and am wondering if these major components will be useful as spares.

Thank you.

My Hollander book states that a 40-47 Plymouth transmission will interchange, if your Dodge isn’t fluid drive. If it is, you have to put the longer input pinion shaft in the Plymouth transmission. And probably use your Dodge levers on the Plymouth transmission for the linkage to adjust correctly.  Rick D.

Edited by 9 foot box

Thanks for responding.  
I’m going to crawl under the car today to see if I have the Fluid Drive option or not.  Still learning as I just purchased it.

If your bell housing is longer than 8” between the engine and transmission, it has a fluid drive coupling. If it’s fluid drive, get ready to amaze yourself and riders when you learn more of it’s operation.     Rick D.

Dodge is a D25 which is the Canadian Dodge which is really a Plymouth with Dodge trim, aka Plodge. If that is the case, transmission will be the regular 3-speed and not fluid drive. According to my Canadian parts book the rear axles are the same from from 1937-1948. Always best to inspect and measure as who knows what a previous owner might have changed. 

• Like 3

Thanks for being so helpful.

Here is what mine looks like underneath.

I cannot get under the one for sale.

F1166314-3B04-4F81-8FA7-31CEBD96433A.jpeg

30FC010F-05F3-475D-9A85-0DC7E771A3C9.jpeg

365FA538-4472-442B-A1CA-70A9A039DA2F.jpeg

There’s not much in there so I assume no fluid drive.  Also the distance face to face of engine to transmission is 8”.  The other benefit of this suggestion was noticing a few nicked teeth on the ring gear.

D471C95A-C225-4CE6-8FDE-738482BA9BB6.jpeg

CF110932-548F-461C-9906-4444CA5E64A8.jpeg

CDB223D2-0127-43BF-A463-6501A9BB80C3.jpeg

that is a Canadian car, D25,   no fluid drive  note the 8 bolt flywheel, not found on a US 218, or the Canadian 218 in 40.

However, postwar Canadian 218s have 8 bolts.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

The transmission is a bolt for bolt swap , possibly the output flange may need to be changed to match the drive shaft.

The ratios in the 40 are different, and many users feel more desirable.   Higher second gear.