Rear fender hardware

mikes48

Weld it on?  Naw..?

Some one here knows where to get those elevator type mounting bolts..

I think I'll try elevator bolts on mine as I only need a few that broke from rust damage.  The one listed as elevator bolts have a short square section under the head  like carriage bolts and aren't threaded quite as far as the originals.  But, I think by grinding the square section to round and using a washer or two they will work.

I've found them by searching using that term.  The original type are available from a few sellers, but seem to be quite expensive.  For example, roberts has them at $6.50 per + shipping.

Edited by kencombs

Worth the effort in my opinion. The new replacements available are $300 each & fiberglass.

My fenders are really hammered, besides dents they have stress cracks & old farmer torch welds, ripped out mounting brackets.

I did some work on them already, enough to decide I can save them. Will be a winter project .... they will show plenty of character when finished.

1 hour ago, jpwuertz said:

You should try Grainger.com    they should have some at a lower price.

Yes they do have elevator bolts.  But like everyone else, they aren't fully threaded due to the short square section under the head nor do they have a screw slot or recess on the head side.  Assuming the head OD is usable,  I'll probably wind up with those from somewhere and remove the square part, thread deeper or add washers, as well as dremeling a slot in the head.  Kind of a pain but better than 130 bucks + shipping for 16 from Roberts.   On the good side, the elevator products are available in stainless, around 15 bucks for 50!@!

What is the head size of the elevator bolts? The OEM bolts are just over an inch if I remember correctly. Mar-k sells a different style of you don't need to be 100% correct that uses a smaller head and then a special washer. I think they are still somewhat expensive but maybe you could homebrew that approach vs cutting threads and a screwdriver slot.

18 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

What is the head size of the elevator bolts? The OEM bolts are just over an inch if I remember correctly. Mar-k sells a different style of you don't need to be 100% correct that uses a smaller head and then a special washer. I think they are still somewhat expensive but maybe you could homebrew that approach vs cutting threads and a screwdriver slot.

They come in several sizes 3/16, 1/4 and 3/8 OD with about a half dozen heads that I've found, ranging from 31/32" to close to 1.5".

After looking at them closer I think an appropriately sized oval head screw and a small fender washer could be made to work.  Dimple the washer to provide a seat for the screw head.  And those are available in stainless too.  That would solve another issue.

I plan to paint the bed and fenders before installation.  Then the screw heads would need to be painted separately or just use stainless bare.

Edited by kencombs