Problem putting fan and pulley on new water pump. 48 DeSoto

MarcDeSoto

I started to put my fan and pulley on my new water pump from Mopar Pro, but my bolts, which are 5/16 X 18 tpi, would not go in.  So I got my old water pump and tried to screw the bolts in and they went right in!  Could these new water pumps be in metric thread?  And is there such a thing as metric thread?  Seems like Mopar Pro should at least mention that your old bolts won't fit in these new water pumps.  

Yes there are both SAE and Metric thread pitches. Good chance that yes your water pump has metric threads.  It was made in a country where they are asking similar questions. Is there such a thing as SAE threads? Maybe email the MoparPro and ask about it.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

Mike wouldn't even know...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

when I buy new bolts for the water pump, should I ask for stainless steel bolts, since they will be in a water environment?  

If they are in a water environment you have a problem........   ?

• Haha 3

Do you have a tap and die set? Or a thread restoration kit? You should if you don't. But if you do it also comes in handy to figure out what threads you have in the water pump.

• Like 1

I do have a tap and die set, but it's SAE.  But I think I may have a good idea what bolts to get.  I think they would be M8 with 1.25 coarse thread.  I already know it's not 1.0 or fine thread.  So I think I'm going to Hank's Hardware for them.  Thanks everyone for your advice!!!

I went to Hank's and bought what I thought were the right bolts.  They are M 8 metric bolts with 1.25 pitch with a 13mm hexhead.  At first I was afraid to screw them in as they were a bit tight.  But after putting some oil on the threads, they went right in.  I called AB and the guy on the phone didn't have the answer, so he went to the manager.  I think something got lost in the translation because he came back saying the bolts were 3/8 with 16 tpi.  I think the manager thought I was talking about the water pump mounting bolts.  So now the fan is on and the fan belt.  I had to take it all off though because I forgot the attach the generator mounting bracket that is attached to the water pump bolt!   Now I'm ready to mount the radiator, so I'm going to put a sheet of cardboard over the core to protect it during installation.  

As much as I hate metric bolts I still have a metric tap & die set as well as an Imperial/SAE tap & die set.......the metric set is kept far away from the proper set so as not to pollute the SAE one......any metric bolts or nuts that are found in the garage are quickly disposed of in the garbage bin............a thread gauge is also a good tool to have handy ...........what are those things at the end of your legs?........metres or feet?........I rest my case...........andyd  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I agree as to andyd...

With the old MoPars I keep metric tools far far away in another tool chest.

I look at it the same as silicone in a body shop.....keep it way far far away!

Anyone notice lately most online detail specs now are mostly metric?

Real slow and tough comparing dimensional info for us older gentleman on old car parts.. ?

I remember several years ago someone posted on here metric parts were always used on these 40's/50's MoPars....

It was Don Coatney...

I said no way...

He came back...14mm spark plugs....!?

I then knew...that guy was the cats meow for info...

Too bad he's gone..

And now our old MoPars are being polluted with a mis-match of SAE and metric fastener parts...now we better own a SAE and a MM screw pitch gauge...of course all off shore parts.

Metric mania.

I talked to the Mopar Pro guy and I asked if his water pumps were made in China.  He said just lift it.  You can tell by the weight that it was make in the U.S..  When I asked why it had metric thread, he said because all car parts now have metric thread.  When I called AB, they said the box with the water pump said made in China.  AB also didn't know what thread the fan pulley bolts were because they said they were 3/8 by 16 thread.  Those are the bolts for the engine block.  

i have a gates water pump on the shelf from r/a says made in china on box it is heavy so the chinese figured it out and added weight to it so it feels American

i feel that the only difference in some parts is the price 

they do seem to be re boxed parts made buy one factory

seems to me that metric is here to stay start letting the taps and dies mingle 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

I talked to the Mopar Pro guy and I asked if his water pumps were made in China.  He said just lift it.  You can tell by the weight that it was make in the U.S..

Used car salesmen pitch

8 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

When I asked why it had metric thread, he said because all car parts now have metric thread.

That foreign made junk probably so.  I ran into this bleeding my brakes.  One of the bleeders had it's hex rounded off, so I grabbed a new one out of my stash. Unfortunately, my stash was SAE, the bleeder was metric.  Had to buy a collection of metric bleeders.  Apparently, at some point it got new wheel cylinders and they are metric as well.

• Like 1