Best gear oil for 4 speed

Mertz

I am ready to fill my 4 speed nonsynro transmission in my truck. I believe that I need a GL-4 oil and SAE 140 since I won’t drive it in the cold. It appears that 85/140 is all that is available which is fine. Which brand of oil has worked best for you guys?  I’m leaning toward Valvoline because it has the EP additives required in the manual. 

I've been an Amsoil user for many years, so that's what I'm using in my truck gear box. However, what you are looking at is just fine. I believe the original spec was for a GL-1 gear oil, which isn't easy to find these days. However, your GL-4 should be find in your spur gear trans. 

Turns out that the Valvoline is GL-4 and GL-5. With my non synchronized transmission is it ok the have the 5. Masterpro makes a straight 140 that is GL-4. I can order it from oreillys in a gallon for $22. I don’t know anything about this oil brand.

Oriellys has GL-4 SAE 140 in a gallon for $23. It’s Masterpro that I never heard of and couldn’t fine any information on it. I’m using it and also putting in my steering box. Not driving in the winter so I don’t need 85/140. 

On 11/23/2022 at 5:07 PM, Mertz said:

Turns out that the Valvoline is GL-4 and GL-5. With my non synchronized transmission is it ok the have the 5. Masterpro makes a straight 140 that is GL-4. I can order it from oreillys in a gallon for $22. I don’t know anything about this oil brand.

If I recall correctly, even the non-synchronized transmission may have some yellow metal in it (brass or bronze).  I seem to remember that when I rebuilt the 4-speed non-synchro transmission on my '49 Power Wagon, about 20 years ago, the reverse gear had a bronze bushing inside it.  I suspect the trans in yours would be similar.  I honestly don't recall what gear oil I used in mine, and I don't know that the yellow metal concern was a consideration for me at the time (not on my radar).  The truck had that oil in it for close to a decade before I pulled the transmission and engine to do engine work, and that's the way it sits now, so I don't have an update for you, but I just wanted to mention the likelihood of the presence of some yellow metal in your transmission, despite the absence of synchros.

Going forward, I will be looking for gear oil that is compatible with yellow metal whenever I get my truck back together.

Edited by Matt Wilson