Walking Hubcaps

lepic56

They walk as a result of wheel flexing. The wheel flexing is normal. I had metal valve stems installed when I last put tires on my 51 Cranbrook. You can also take a short piece of air hose or fuel line that will fit over the valve stem and it will prevent the wheel cover from cutting into the valve stem, but it won't stop the wheel cover from walking. I have heard some folks have had some success in stopping the movement by placing a bead of adhesive caulk on the wheels where the wheel cover clamps contact the wheel and then installing the wheel cover.

• Like 1

Shown...The MoPar wheel cover

anti-rotation cups...two sizes were available..

They are pretty rare to find.

20221118_144806_5PNV9D030j.jpeg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
Better explanation,spelling
  • Thanks 1

I use a pair of "duck bill" pilers to straighten and pre-load the teeth on the wheel covers.

They seem to loose their "bite" on the wheels over time. I do it to keep them on more than stop the walk.

• Like 1