Carb upgrade

Booger

Beware "universal" repalcements.  Many are made outside the USA.   This often means Poor production quality, inferior materials, and metric fasteners/threads.  (note that I dont have an issue with Metric Fasteners or threads,  But when its on a vintage American car, needing a completely different tool set that only works on the carb...)

• Like 2

On my 49 Coupe I have a Stromberg. The P.O. said that the mechanic who he bought it from claimed the Stromberg starts easier. It does start very nicely when you drive the car often. Some times when it sits for a while the fuel pump has to refill the carburetor and you need to crank it more. An electric pump or perhaps a rebuild kit in the pump would help.

What I have noticed is that Stromberg had a real good replacement business and there are new old stock Strombergs on eBay once every so often, while its hard to find even used B & Bs.

I found two NOS matching Strombergs for my Thickstun manifold for a very reasonable $150 each from the same seller, so they are around.

For a dual manifold there was never a question which carburetor to use. The Stromberg has the fuel inlet on the side while the B & B has it on the end which is not as easy to deal with. For single use an elbow fitting is in the box and the fuel line does not require bending. ( you do have to loosen the fitting at the pump though to avoid tweaking it )

I have had good service from Mike's Carburetor so I would keep them as a resource and a go to outfit.