Heater Cores

cef2lion

Working on a 52 Coronet that has the All Weather Comfort System 503. The heater core under the hood starting leaking. I removed it and dropped it a shop for evaluation. Waiting to hear back. It was leaking from one stop but... What have others done if there heater core is not repairable? 

I have saved the heater cores out of the 93 Chrysler T & C (front and in the left rear side panel area) that I scrapped, but I imagine that the tubes would not line up.  I had actually thought of installing an extra in the rear someplace, for more even heat.  But I also reckon that it would be cheaper to have one of these modified than to have the core replaced on an old one. 

[Project for a trip to the salvage - Try to find something that could easily be made to fit..  But my car had some other heater installed at some time, because I had to repair some holes in the firewall that weren't where there were punch-outs..  So maybe not a real big deal to use something else.  My 46 had spent its whole life in Oklahoma, and I suspect that heaters weren't high on the options list in that part of the country back then.  Would PEX work to route the hoses to the right places?, or I guess this is hotter than a hot water heater.]

Edited by Eneto-55

My quick google search says PEX is good to 200 F; I wouldn't trust it. CPVC lists the same thing (and I'll admit to using CPVC fittings in order to do a temporary bypass.) I would think there would have to be a NOS core sitting on a shelf somewhere. My favorite trick is to start by finding an OEM part number and then use that for your search. I would also think that a good, old-time radiator shop could make something work.

Good evening,

It was earlier this year I had both my radiator and heater cores replaced.

If your ends "tanks" are good, they should be able to get you a new core. Take measurements of length, width and thickness to make sure it will fit back in the heater box.

Good luck

Frank

On 11/20/2022 at 11:52 AM, cef2lion said:

Thanks all. Picked up a new old stock Mopar 503 housing with heater core today. 

I would suggest finding a way to cap off the heater core, put a bit of air pressure in it and use soapy water in a spray bottle to check for leaks.