1952 Dodge Coronet parts needed

Marty C
Go to solution Solved by Doug&Deb,

Thank you Doug but I’m not even sure it’s on my car’s carb

i guess I’m going to have to wait till I get up there …probably after Christmas 

right now I’m going to check over all my engine pictures to see if I can spot it

I found some pictures and video of my carb 

it looks like the stromberg it is different than the spare Carter ball and ball one I have but I’m not sure the solenoid is there 

I can’t seem to find one on eBay or even when I Google the part for my car it does not show a listing for any solenoid

A27CEF57-60DB-478F-9740-9D85BFBBEE1C.png

2ABBA365-B8B8-4EB1-814D-62BD183BBCB1.png

AB4986E4-E9E6-4747-A909-E900C4827FC9.jpeg

Here are pictures on the BXVES-3 Stromberg on a 52 Coronet engine.

I posted these on this site back in 2013!

Middle pic shows the round dash pot/anti-stall solenoid with the two bullet terminal wires connected to it.

Screenshot_20221201-120401_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Thanks 1

I’m a little confused 

Doug says it’s correct for a three speed transmission with fluid coupling not the GyroMatic ! I thought the Gyro Matic was a three speed with fluid coupling!!

I will just have to wait till I get back to the car …but I do have the DashPot plunger and I have something sticking out where the solenoid should be …so maybe I’m just missing the solenoid !!

what do you guys think?

that’s a ton of money for a carb!!!

I enclosed a picture of what I think the solenoid might go!!

I have no idea ?

94CC179D-E26F-45C6-8704-DA7C4A7F4844.jpeg

That’s it. It is expensive. They are available used and are easy to rebuild. I’ve found them anywhere from $5.00 to $40.00. The kick down switch and dashpot don’t normally go bad although they sometimes need a little cleaning. The carb I’m using was put together from 4 different carbs plus a rebuild kit.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Marty C said:

I’m a little confused 

Doug says it’s correct for a three speed transmission with fluid coupling not the GyroMatic ! I thought the Gyro Matic was a three speed with fluid coupling!!

3 spd w/fluid coupling = Fluid Drive

Gyro Matic = M6 trans (2 spd  trans with 2spd OD integral) behind a fluid coupling.

When you get to the car check if you can put the shift lever into 1st gear position. With the Gyromatic you have 2nd 3rd and reverse. 1st is blocked. Also the Gyromatic trans has a governor and solenoid on it. Coronets usually came with the Gyromatic but I’ve seen exceptions. Also in 70 years you never know what changes have been made.

That peg on your stromberg carb is the iron core  that the dashpot/anti-stall solenoid is mounted on.

Pics of the solenoid coil....

20221201_170426_XDNAtHOS3b.jpeg

20221201_170548_ZLrDAGZJ9H.jpeg

20221201_170135_R5lKvtll6h.jpeg

Okay everyone my Dodge is in my driveway!!

yay!

Engine was completely rebuilt but has nothing been started 

I want to take this slow and easy

A few questions maybe y’all can help me with 

1- what break in oil do you recommend?

2- any easy way of pre oiling the engine without a lot of disassembly ?

3-when I get the engine running

then I need to address two issues

1 I still can’t find that solenoid anywhere ! Definitely looks like I have the correct carburetor the post is there with a small screw on the end of it where the solenoid should go. The kickdown switch is there. Carb looks  in decent shape

after the car is running I will install my transmission solenoid wiring kit I bought. which brings me to transmission oil what does everybody recommend the manual says 10 weight motor oil

what does everybody use in their gyro Matic?

when I googled 10 weight oil manual transmission oil pops up that hydraulic oil pops up

The manual definitely states more oil not transmission fluid so I’m a bit confused there.

also another question I see on the wiring diagram the electric choke Wiring goes to the starter. why in the world would it go to the starter?

I did put 6 V to the choke and it slapped open!!!

so does the choke slap open when you are turning the key doesn’t make much sense to me. 

for a car that is 70 years old there is certainly a lot of electronics built into this car!!!!

any advice will be appreciated I wanted to take more pictures but my camera died here a few pictures of the new engine in the car at my home

0C751900-9EF4-4B17-BA64-76ABE303BE96.jpeg

I use AW32 hydraulic oil in my Gyromatic. The choke is wired to the starter. When cold starting the car press the gas pedal halfway down and turn the key. If you don’t have a service manual I highly recommend getting one. I can’t help with pre oiling the engine or break in oil but others here can help with that. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you Doug you’ve helped out immensely 

I’m getting close 

I’m thinking of filling the crank case with breaking oil I found some 30 weight break and coil on Amazon I think I’m going to pour a little marvel mystery oil down each spark plug hole and then run the starter to hopefully build up some oil pressure or get the oil slashing around and then put everything back and try to start it hopefully I’m going to get to that soon and  i’m setting the deadline to have it running by Christmas

I know I’ve probably asked this before : I can’t find this Stromberg bxves anti stall solenoid ANYWHERE!!

Does anybody have any extra one in any condition??

Anybody know where to buy one or have a part number?

Its literally the last part I need for my Dodge!!

Im really close to starting it for the first time!

I’ll keep everyone posted !

thank you all in advance 

MoPar # 1316733 is the solenoid part #.

I'd skip MoPar Mall.