1952 Dodge Coronet parts needed

Marty C
Go to solution Solved by Doug&Deb,

does anyone have a spare wiring harness that goes to the transmission solenoid up to the carburetor throttle switches

I am installing a rebuilt engine and I rewired all the wiring to the engine to get it running but the transmission solenoid wiring harness is completely missing

I have two questions number one :

I have the diagram and I could probably make one but it shows a resistor and doesn’t give a value if I make one or anybody else has made one do you know the value of that resistor?

question two :

would the car drive without the wiring to the solenoid?

I’ve heard different theories on this, so has anybody driven a car without wiring to the solenoid and would it be possible to take it on the highway?

The car once we get it running is located four hours from my home I hope to drive it home

Edited by Marty C
Miss wording

I’m assuming you have the Gyromatic trans. It will upshift with no wiring connected but not downshift. So yes it can be driven just remember to disengage the clutch when stopping. I bought a trans harness from YNZ Wiring for my 52 Coronet and I’m very happy with it. Their customer support is good also. I’m not sure which resistor you’re referring to. There’s a circuit breaker in the square block mounted to the air cleaner brace. 

Oh wow that’s great info

thank you!

the diagram I mentioned was found here on this forum and in my ship manual 

I really want to get all the proper wiring 

can you give me a little more info on where you got yours?

0B0010D9-4D88-47A9-9822-3AC3AA832E10.jpeg

YNZ Wiring was who I used. Rhode Island Wiring is another source. You need the Gyromatic harness. I believe it’s around $225.00. Installation is simple with the instructions they provide. I also recommend going to the Imperial club website. They have troubleshooting manuals available for download. I know from my experience how much trouble bad wiring can cause. I’ll be glad to help with any questions you have.

• Thanks 1

Hi Doug and Deb 

I spoke with YNZ wiring and they quoted $234 plus shipping

i went to Rhode Island wiring and there’s is $225 

I think I’ll use them because the car is located 15 minutes from RI and maybe I could pick it up and save shipping cost 

thank you for the advice so far!!

The square block on the air cleaner support bracket has both a 12 ohm resister and a circuit breaker in it.

Used only with the 1949-53 M-6 Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler cars.?

Now that I have the transmission wiring harness and I have the circuit breaker and resistor assembly from eBay 

now I think my carb is missing the anti stall control on the carb!

no idea what it looks like 

the only switch I have on my carb I think is the lick down switch on base of carb

any part numbers for these carb switches??

I think these are my last missing pieces of my puzzle any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!!

The carb should be a Stromberg BXVES. The magnetic dash pot is on the front of the carb and 2 wires attach to it. The kick down switch is on the rear of the carb and is activated by the throttle linkage. I’m at work so I don’t have pictures but if you google that carb you’ll see what I mean. It’s possible that you have the wrong carb.

Once again thank you Doug and Deb

i hope I don’t but I may well have 

I don’t have the car to check right now , it’s 4 hrs away at my friends shop 

we just installed a newly rebuilt engine and now I’m in the process of obtains all missing pieces to get the Dodge on the road 

we have not started it yet

hopefully before it gets too cold

im on Long Island and the car is at my friends classic car repair shop in Massachusetts 

once again thanks for all your help

I’m not available to look at my existing carb because presently it’s 4 hours away at my friends shop 

I have obtained all missing wiring to tranny and to carb but now I’m wondering if I have the anti stall solenoid  attached to carb!

is this device do what I think it does? Raise the idle if it stalling?

or does it connect to the coil and actually stall the engine to provide a smoother shift?!!

seems weird to me but I’m leaning towards this as I read everyone’s horror stories with this GyroMatic

Is this switch

really necessary for proper operation of the transmission that’s all I’m really worried about. I know the kick down switch is in stalled on the cob I’ve seen it but I have not seen anything on the other side of the carb where I see the solenoid is installed What’s further confusing is I had an extra carb

in the trunk when I bought the car but it is a Carter bowl and bowl and I’m positive it’s for the standard shift car there is no solenoid or switches on it whatsoever. I’ve tried googling the solenoid for this car and I’m having trouble finding it anybody have a part number or an extra solenoid they are willing to sell me and or a complete Stromberg carburetors for the gyro matic

Any advice would be helpful in the next few weeks I plan a trip up to try to get the car started I will keep everyone posted and again once again I think everybody for their help

Carter ball and ball is what I wanted to say 

I purchased a rebuild kit from rockauto and I’m hoping it’s for the Stromberg and not the Carter

it did not state what Carburetor it was for, it was just on the list of carburetors parts listed for my 52 Coronet  230 six

2 hours ago, Marty C said:

I purchased a rebuild kit from rockauto and I’m hoping it’s for the Stromberg and not the Carter

it did not state what Carburetor it was for, it was just on the list of carburetors parts listed for my 52 Coronet  230 six

I looked at RA's listings for a 52 Coronet, all are Carter.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I looked at RA's listings for a 52 Coronet, all are Carter.

The anti stall or magnetic dash pot keeps the idle from dropping too quickly which allows you to stop the car without disengaging the clutch. Try googling for a rebuild kit. The brand I used is from Daytona but I can’t remember the vendor I bought it from. I’m not sure what horror stories you’ve heard about the Gyromatic. I daily drive my Coronet from April through November and don’t have problems. It can be finicky to get dialed in but if I can do it anyone can lol. I believe there is a Carter carb for the semi auto trans. Chrysler and DeSoto used them. The Stromberg BXVES is correct for your car though.