Auto choke connection on carburetor. 48 DeSoto

MarcDeSoto

The rod in the photo is the "choker connector rod', which pulls the throttle linkage up when the choke is on, to increase the idle speed.  (The rod from the Sisson choke (the auto choke rod? fits the other lever on the choke shaft, and its length is adjusted at the Sisson, with a pin gauge used to set the length.) 

The dimension of the choker connector rod is fixed.  You could bend or straighten if it got out of whack, but the idle speed is adjusted at the idle screw.  

• Like 1

I have attached the sisson choke rod lengths PDF file so you can determine the correct rod and length that you need. First check the first page to determine the appropriate rod number then go to the last page and you will see the illustration and dimension of the specific rod for your car and year.

Again having the appropriate cross reference catalog has come in handy.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Sisson Coke rod lengths by years.pdf

• Like 1

I knew I'd confuse people by showing that pic of a Plymouth carburetor.  I'm talking about the Sisson choke rod, not the choker rod.  Thanks a lot Rich for the detailed info on Sisson chokes.  I know you are the expert on them.  I'll adjust the rod as you say and I guess I have to look for the rod connector piece that fastens the rod to the carburetor.  

I think I found my problem.  I read that there is supposed to be a gasket under the Sisson choke device.  Asbestos yet and about a quarter inch thick!  Do they still sell those as I don't know if I still have mine?  If I had the gasket, my choke rod would reach the carburetor.  

P1030127.JPG

P1030128.JPG

P1030129.JPG

On you desoto the choke should mount benhind the carb on the flat spot on the manifold. The arm should be facing the head and the alignment hole should be facing out toward you.  The gasket are all the same.  The adjustment is made via loosening the bolt on the arm and then moving that arm up or down to lock the choke in place. refer to the choke adjustment section in your service manual.

Rich Hartung

cell 484-431-8157

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

Marc: This is the reason why we all belong to the Forum.  We all learn something new everyday.  The clips to connect the sisson choke rod are very common clips. You might even get them at NAPA or even try Restoratio n Supply in Windber PA. They carry alot of clips and connecters.

Rich Hartung

• Like 1