Veterans Day coming up

Plymouthy Adams

Few days early on the posting but not sure what my computer availability will be toward end of week.  Three day swap meet coming up and a few buds will be coming to vend and staying with me a couple days.  They are all veterans...we all retired military through the reserves and worked in the electronics shop civil service.   Anyway, a hats off salute to those that served.

I just last week put together a shadowbox to honor my dad's service in WWII...enlisted in USAAF 1944 and in 1945 was Corps of Cadet when a training injury left him unable to continue service. 

Thanks again to those that served....some the best times I have had in my life were my military adventures.    I also think anyone that served should be remembered in a manner with a shadow box, but then, that is just my opinion.  

Glass and windows/flash lighting makes photographing a bit difficult...but you can get the general layout.  

IMG_0426.JPG

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 4

Good idea!  I have a trove of stuff from my father's service aboard the US Missouri (BB63) from member of the commissioning crew assignment through to witnessing the Surrender signing in Tokyo Bay.  Maybe my brother and I can do something similar with 2 suitcases and a portfolio folder of stuff he had put together.  A lot of stuff to wade through for the essence of his experience.  He was a gun captain on one of the 16 inch guns.  His crew garnered the ship's first "E" for efficiency and effectiveness of fire.

12 hours ago, greg g said:

Good idea!  I have a trove of stuff from my father's service aboard the US Missouri (BB63) from member of the commissioning crew assignment through to witnessing the Surrender signing in Tokyo Bay.  Maybe my brother and I can do something similar with 2 suitcases and a portfolio folder of stuff he had put together.  A lot of stuff to wade through for the essence of his experience.  He was a gun captain on one of the 16 inch guns.  His crew garnered the ship's first "E" for efficiency and effectiveness of fire.

go for it Greg, it will serve to honor your father and at the same time bond with your sibling.  One of my co-workers was retired Navy.....he was contacted by the Navy to bring the Mo and the big guns back into service when recommissioned in 1984...I worked along side him and others maintaining the fire control computers and ancillary components that fed into the data stream of this older weapons fire control system as they survived for many years in service.  Anyway, he went back on duty, they made him an offer he could not refuse.  

We went to visit some years ago.  Because my dad wasa plank holder and a member of the museum tech advisors, we got a private tour behind the scenes look at some stuff that is not on the public tour path.  Got a good look at the actual workings of the 16 inch turrets.   Amazing stuff.  Akin to hurling a vw beetle 20 or so miles with an accuracy of 50 feet or less.

That would have been a nice tour.....made an overseas (Persian Gulf) ship survey, USS LaSalle, an up close inspection of what needed repairs that would and could be done in a 30+/- availability.  I do not think there is a compartment on that ship and a smokestack that I have not entered to check ship component/system readiness condition and you learn the overall vastness of the ship.  After this initial survey, I did 5 trips consisting of 30-40 days doing many repairs and upgrades, many of which were well outside my trade but jobs that yet needed be done and you lent a hand to whatever you could do to get the total task done timely and precisely.  It was fun times....even in the DS/DS environment.    You could well see the changing of the climate on my last trip.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Nice job on that shadow box.  That is how a tri-folded US Flag is supposed to present, 21 stars showing, 7 if it's a bigger flag, and it takes a lot of attention to detail to make them nice and straight like yours.  

Edited by Dan Hiebert
typo
  • Thanks 1