Engine scent free cabs

pflaming

It seems , to me, that trucks, unlike cars of the same age are engine noisy and have a strong engine smell.   How did they do that in the cars but not in the trucks. That aroma is the main reason my wife does not like to ride in my truck. 

I don't know why trucks would be worse than cars, but possibly less attention payed to air sealing.  Clutch/brake pedals?   or airflow around the vehicle with windows down.

In any case the major cause of odor is fumes from the road draft tube.   PCV is the answer.  

And, be sure the exhaust system is tight and gets those fumes where they can't be sucked into the cab.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, very, very helpful information for novice mechanics like me.  My exhaust system will be very tight from now on.  So much to learn and so little time to learn it.  My leg is healing. 

5BE1451C-FE0E-433D-9508-C92A859C13AE.jpeg

On the noise question, cars often had more sound and vibration dampening under the mats and on the firewall.   Adding that can only help 

I'll also be putting that on the roof, underseat, and rear cab wall.  The bottom of the cab got a heavy coat of undercoating when it was off for rust repair..

Edited by kencombs

Another PCV adopter here...crankcase fumes get sucked into charged air and do not waft into the cab that is still missing the original cardboard firewall pad that rotted away years ago.  Truck cabs are noisy if there is not any insulation in the doors, on the headliner, and behind the seat...the hard-to-reach area above the firewall is also a noise transmitter.

• 11 months later...
21 hours ago, Papeenun41 said:

Can you please show a picture of where the PCV was installed?

Sure!  I plumbed between vacuum port on intake and where the downdraft tube used to be. That was fairly easy using available parts. Pretty sure Vintage Power Wagons sell them? I got mine off a 60s vintage 230 engine. Bolted right on.  I purchased an oil fill tube with 1/4 npt fitting from VPW. Making the connection for filtered air from the oil fill tube to the the carburetor was more of a challenge. I machined an adapter out of brass and bent up some steel tubing.

DSCN2761.JPG

DSCN2656.JPG

DSCN2654.JPG

DSCN2586.JPG

DSCN2579.JPG

DSCN2873.JPG

DSCN2874.JPG

DSCN2875.JPG

• Like 1