‘47 Dodge Custom Drum Brake Noise

wingkingkong

New to me car that I’m slowly going through as I have time.

Currently tackling an issue with the brakes. As I come to a stop the brakes are making a loud, almost screeching/scraping noise. From what I was reading about drum brakes the fix for this might be putting anti seize on the backing plate where the shoes may be rubbing.

I’m new to this and learning as I go. I was hoping to confirm this info here, or get some pointers on what I should be checking.

I'd pull the drums and make sure nothing broke and that the shoes aren't worn to metal.  If every thing is ok you can pull the stuff apart (do one side at a time so you have a reference) clean it up, lube it and put it back together, then do your major and minor adjustments.

If you don't have a service manual get one, Rock Auto had them for my car on a CD.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

I'd pull the drums and make sure nothing broke and that the shoes aren't worn to metal.  If every thing is ok you can pull the stuff apart (do one side at a time so you have a reference) clean it up, lube it and put it back together, then do your major and minor adjustments.

If you don't have a service manual get one, Rock Auto had them for my car on a CD.

+1 on pulling the drums.  I've never encountered a noise due to shoe/backing plate issues.  Mostly have found broken springs, but they make noise when not applying the brakes too, or worn linings most commonly.   riveted linings worn to the rivets do that.

• Like 2

Since you are new to drum brakes and also have an early MoPar car there are some baisc tools that you are going to need especially for the rear drums.

Since the rear drums have a tapered axle, you are going to need to purchase or borrow a three arm drum puller.  Do not get the ones that grab around the edge of the drum you will warp the drum.

Get a good book on adjusting the brakes and get the service manual for your car before you even attempt to do a brake shoe replacement.

You have Lockheed brakes and there are several specialized tools that you need to get them adjusted properly.

If you do want to see what is going on the pull the front brakes first to understand the brake system and also get someone that understands how brakes work and get a MoPar guy that has the Lockheed brake system.

If this is aboe your level of skill then get the car to a qualified mechanic that can work on the Lockheed brakes and also be able to adjust them properly.  This braking system is not typical to the Bendix brake system.

Also ask a lot of questions and take lots of pictures with your cell phone to document what the system looks like as you start the job and on the internal brake shoe setup.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1