Lowered 47 2 door sedan?

LeRoy

A few days ago someone mentioned posies leaf springs, when I went digging around some they say their springs are designed to lower the car 3". I hadn't really thought about doing that but I do like the droopy rear end look. I wonder how this would look with the rear 3"lower. What else am I not thinking about that makes this a bad idea?20221103_114302.jpg.b63cf6c741649f016a4712f8ff4709b0.jpg

When I had my 41 Plymouth Coupe I installed 2" blocks on the rear springs & cut one coil from the front, together with the 195/75x15 and 235/75x15 front & rear Coker Classic whitewalls it had this side profile.......lowered but not too low, everything cleared inner & outer without issue..........andyd 

IMG_1364.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

• Like 2

When you think about lowered rear springs you must also take into account that the 3" is based on normal ride height when the the car was new. I'd be willing to bet that unless your springs were replaced at some time in the last 75 years, the stock springs may already have collapsed 1 1/2 to 2 inches. I like how it looks now.

I mentioned they looked like Posie springs but they offer (or used to) stockish or lowered springs.  That poster did not have their "super low" springs, the spring eyes are reversed on those.

Their Super Low springs are a bolt in and should lower it more than it is now.  Check their catalog.

Lop a 1/2 coil off the front and you'll be good to go. You can always cut more if needed.

The Dodge in my avatar has 1/2 coil cut off the original saggy springs.

Edited by Adam H P15 D30

I still go the other way....I will not touch a front end ride height but I sure do like a butt high rake....I'm all for that...only thing around here allowed to drag its butt is me...!!  I just aligned the front suspension this week on my rack using my old school tools....0 camber 2.5 postive caster and 3/32 toe in with steering centered with front to rear thrust measurements showing parallel.   Only pic I have of the rake is after setting the body back onto the frame after a Dakota front clip and bent engine install with 5 speed OD tranny and 3.55 gears.  Showing my slant to the era  I grew up....and for those that question the front clip, the Dakota is 3/4 inch lower in overall 'tip-up' height of the front frame following the original centerline of the 48...they are that close 46 years later.  Also the hubs have been changed to 5 x 4.5 with 7" rims and not the 8" as shown.   Difference between 7 an 8 is that the 8 sets further from the flange as the backset remains basically unchanged.  Much to many folks disliking to modern drive trains this is basically the only real external sign of modification...the wheels.....

100_1560.JPG

IMG_0434.JPG

Thumbs.db

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I still go the other way....I will not touch a front end ride height but I sure do like a butt high rake....I'm all for that...only thing around here allowed to drag its butt is me...!!  I just aligned the front suspension this week on my rack using my old school tools....0 camber 2.5 postive caster and 3/32 toe in with steering centered with front to rear thrust measurements showing parallel.   Only pic I have of the rake is after setting the body back onto the frame after a Dakota front clip and bent engine install with 5 speed OD tranny and 3.55 gears.  Showing my slant to the era  I grew up....and for those that question the front clip, the Dakota is 3/4 inch lower in overall 'tip-up' height of the front frame following the original centerline of the 48...they are that close 46 years later.  Also the hubs have been changed to 5 x 4.5 with 7" rims and not the 8" as shown.   Difference between 7 an 8 is that the 8 sets further from the flange as the backset remains basically unchanged.  Much to many folks disliking to modern drive trains this is basically the only real external sign of modification...the wheels.....

100_1560.JPG

IMG_0434.JPG

Thumbs.db 1019 kB · 0 downloads

I like a high butt on late 60s and 70s, low butt on 50s and early 60s. I like my ford pickups level :) and a giggly rear on mama.

• Haha 1