Outer axle seal replacement on a 51 Cambridge

motoMark

Although not specifically stated in the Plymouth Service Manual, it looks like you need to remove the brake support plate in order to replace the outer axle seal. Is this correct? I have mine disassembled down the the support plate and I see no way of getting the seal out as it is.

Thanks.

Also while you're at it check the vent on the rear axle.  Make sure it's not plugged.  Simple to do.  Just unscrew it so you can check it on the bench.  If the vent is plugged the rear end grease will be forced past the new seals when everything heats up and cover your new brakes with grease.  I learned this lesson the hard way.  

• Like 1

Once you get the retainer off it just pulls out.  The service manual shows a puller being used.  You can get a CD from rock auto that has the service manuals and parts manuals on it.  I had to dust off my old XP laptop to copy the CD to a thumb drive.

• Like 1

My inner seal driver. I found a piece in the scrap metal bin at work. It worked great. I should get my buddy to turn down the middle section on his lathe.  For a hand-hold. Remove some weight too. Its pretty heavy. Nobody will steal it though. And best of all it was cheap!

BC08523D-F027-4398-807E-E7F0058CC71E.jpeg.f8d2edcb041f019892264efc8a63f143.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, motoMark said:

In addition to replacing the seals, I think I might replace the shoes too ?. Also, it's a good thing I pulled the axles cause I guess I need bearings too.

rear brake shoes.jpg

real axle bearing race.jpg

Isn't it funny how a simple job spirals into 9 or 10 simple jobs?