Modern wheels on 47 1/2 ton

dgrinnan

My truck is 100% stock.  One of my wheels is bent and can't be repaired.   To find an original is expensive. Has anyone put a more modern 5 lug 16" wheel on their truck?  I was wonder if there is a more modern wheel that would be more available at local salvage yards at a reasonable price.  Just a thought. 

Should not be impossible to find them, they are out there. Maybe if you placed a add in classifieds you would find 1 or 2?

Just for example I have 2 on a utility trailer that I have no intention of using .... I want a 60's-70's style 15" wheel with baby moons & beauty rings to match my truck.

A: classifieds are not allowed in main forum.

B: I'm too lazy too sell them.

C : maybe add your location  to your profile .... chances are I'm too far away from you & shipping would not be reasonable.

Just for giggles I saw this for sale for a cheap price & bought it for spare parts .... I towed it home.

It has original wheels with modern 16" radials installed. ..... No matter what I do with this trailer disassemble it for parts or restore & use it .... I will not use the original wheels.

The wheels are out there ... you just need to ask the right people .... place a wanted add?

IMG_20180525_161603366_HDR.jpg.064737a719f2084f7dae13c12c73c7b9.jpg

Just now, pflaming said:

I have a trailer like that, paid $50 for it, but it has 15” rims. 

Very true Paul .... I know of another Dodge trailer down the street that has the next generation of fenders on it .... I drive around it so I do not see it   :D:D:D

53 or a 55? ... I dunno but still could have the 16" wheels on it & sitting full of tree limbs at a abandoned house. ..... I put my blinders on driving by.

Just another example of how to find original wheels.

I am still shopping for an original but just for the heck of it I took mine to a wheel repair shop.  Real nice owner.  He showed me what was wrong to me and explained how to fix it myself.  I am going to give it a try.  I have nothing to loose.  I am in Northern Kentucky, not be big hub for vintage vehicle survivors.  Most of the original stuff comes from west of the Mississippi.  Hard to locate anything here.  I am guessing shipping would be $50-$100 for pair of wheels, especially if they have old tires on them.  

One would certainly want the old tires removed before shipping. Would just ship only a wheel wrapped in heavy clear wrap with a shipping label attached to it.

Would be the same way tire rack ships tires.

I bought toe boards & a transmission cover wrapped & shipped this way. Next I'm considering buying a lower seat for my truck.

The shipper warned me there would be no material on the seat, just metal springs ..... I assume is for shipping reasons. Not shipping cotton & cloth soaked in years of mouse pee.

Sounds like your wheel repair shop is a pretty good friend to have.