Bob Riding

Hey Bob, Just noticed the dual groove water pump pulley on your Spitfire. Is that stock? If not do you know what it came off of? I need one. 

On 11/4/2022 at 1:52 PM, Bob Riding said:

I have the opportunity to purchase a rebuilt C54 Chrysler Spitfire 265 motor from a friend at a very good price.

I was looking for a powerplant for my stalled '52 Suburban project and after some research and help from Forum members, I think I can fit it into the wagon with only minor modifications. I have the bill of sale from the machine shop and it looks like they did a thorough job:

They magna-fluxed and hot-tanked the block, resurfaced the head, installed new valve guides & lifters, rebored and honed .030 over cylinders. Installed new 030 over pistons and rings, reconditioned the rods with new pins and bushings, ground and polished the crankshaft, installed new rod and main bearings. Fitted new cam bearings, and installed a new oil pump. They then reassembled the long block.

Costs were: parts $203, labor $890, total $1109. The year was 2003!

In one of his excellent videos, @keithb7 states that rebuilding a Mopar flathead, parts alone will run you about $500/cylinder. I can testify to that price range, as I have a 230 motor in a local machine shop for hot tanking and magna-fluxing. They quoted me $5,000 to rebuild it and 6-9 months to get it done!

I will be able to purchase the Spitfire for less than the cost of the original rebuild so obviously, I MUST BUY IT!

I'm excited about resurrecting the motor, but not sure how to proceed. It was never run, and has been in dry storage for almost 20 years. I know - Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders and using a drill in the the oil pump shaft to lube the bottom end - should I use standard 10-40w with an additive like Lucas TB Zinc-Plus for break in oil?

Any other cautions/suggestions?

IMG_4610.jpeg

IMG_4612.jpeg

On 11/4/2022 at 1:52 PM, Bob Riding said:

I have the opportunity to purchase a rebuilt C54 Chrysler Spitfire 265 motor from a friend at a very good price.

I was looking for a powerplant for my stalled '52 Suburban project and after some research and help from Forum members, I think I can fit it into the wagon with only minor modifications. I have the bill of sale from the machine shop and it looks like they did a thorough job:

They magna-fluxed and hot-tanked the block, resurfaced the head, installed new valve guides & lifters, rebored and honed .030 over cylinders. Installed new 030 over pistons and rings, reconditioned the rods with new pins and bushings, ground and polished the crankshaft, installed new rod and main bearings. Fitted new cam bearings, and installed a new oil pump. They then reassembled the long block.

Costs were: parts $203, labor $890, total $1109. The year was 2003!

In one of his excellent videos, @keithb7 states that rebuilding a Mopar flathead, parts alone will run you about $500/cylinder. I can testify to that price range, as I have a 230 motor in a local machine shop for hot tanking and magna-fluxing. They quoted me $5,000 to rebuild it and 6-9 months to get it done!

I will be able to purchase the Spitfire for less than the cost of the original rebuild so obviously, I MUST BUY IT!

I'm excited about resurrecting the motor, but not sure how to proceed. It was never run, and has been in dry storage for almost 20 years. I know - Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders and using a drill in the the oil pump shaft to lube the bottom end - should I use standard 10-40w with an additive like Lucas TB Zinc-Plus for break in oil?

Any other cautions/suggestions?

IMG_4610.jpeg

IMG_4612.jpeg

Power steering 265's used the dual pulleys and odd shaped oil fill pipe to clear the generator operated  p/s pump.

16 hours ago, YukonJack said:

Hey Bob, Just noticed the dual groove water pump pulley on your Spitfire. Is that stock? If not do you know what it came off of? I need one. 

I know it came out of a '54 Chrysler 4dr. I'll ask the PO if he know, but what @Dodgeb4ya said makes sense. When I first saw the oil fill pipe, I thought it had been crushed! I'm used to the Plymouth/Dodge sixes!

Chrysler had their introduction of P/S  in 1951.

An option on the Chrysler V8 powered cars.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bob Riding said:

I know it came out of a '54 Chrysler 4dr. I'll ask the PO if he know, but what @Dodgeb4ya said makes sense. When I first saw the oil fill pipe, I thought it had been crushed! I'm used to the Plymouth/Dodge sixes!

The '54 Chrysler hemi-equipped cars had the same setup- it must have been a BIG deal - look at the horn button! (my '54 4dr)

IMG_4809.JPG

IMG_4808.JPG

It's fun to see how they treated these early options that most take for granted now. Dad's 55 has power steering brakes windows and AC! Loaded for 55 completely normal for now and people would ask where's the power locks and heated seats and steering wheel. It does have column shift though:)

All early P/S Chryslers had a nice looking  "Power Steering" horn button.

Another reason I like the early Chryslers.

• Like 1