Ride in the hills

LeRoy

We strolled through the hills for about 160 miles today. The trees are petty and all the little streams are flowing nicely. Had a good time and the old car chugged right along. My math tells me I got a little over 18mpg, can that be right?

Edited by LeRoy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I am envious....while I surely love the general 365 weather for getting out and about here in middle Georgia, come autumn, I surely miss the hills of my home state...well I miss them for all seasons but, the colorful autumns are just so memorable.  

Are you from the hills of TN or NC?

I used to travel to back home each year, at Thanksgiving to prepare the homeplace for winter for my grandmother and then return at Easter to de-winterize and set it up for spring thru Autumn.   I was always disappointed that my cousins who lived within 15 minutes never saw their grandmother near as often as I did.   Just before her passing I got on the phone for one trip in and told the cousins to show up and I did not want to hear any excuses...ended up with 25 or so family members gathered to visit and have some fun.  She really enjoyed that day....facebook has replaced family gathering it seems....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

You live in a beautiful part of the world.  Down here in Texas most years, our leaves go from green to gone! 

And that beautiful Dodge is the perfect complement to the autumn colors.

Edited by JerryinTx
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LeRoy said:

I spent about 12 years in Dallas prior to retiring, yuck

Well no kidding, lol.  Any big city, yuck.  My daughter live NE of DFW, Princeton to be exact.  She keeps wanting me to move up there, no thanks.

16 hours ago, LeRoy said:

We strolled through the hills for about 160 miles today. The trees are petty and all the little streams are flowing nicely. Had a good time and the old car chugged right along. My math tells me I got a little over 18mpg, can that be right?

Sounds about right.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sniper said:

Well no kidding, lol.  Any big city, yuck.  My daughter live NE of DFW, Princeton to be exact.  She keeps wanting me to move up there, no thanks.

If you can stay out of DFW that'd be my recommendation. I lived in the flight path of the airport, between the planes and the crazy people I hope I never go back. I have family in Texaco NM, that's more my speed. I think that's out your way based on a comment you made here some time ago.

Edited by LeRoy

Well, the nearest interstate to my house is about an hour and a half drive.  Which suits me just fine.  I live where I live for several reasons.  As a kid one of my chores was shoveling snow, I hate snow.  I usually snows once a year around here, just enough to turn everything white but not enough to shovel and usually goes away before you get tired of it, snowpocalypse aside.    I spent a lot of time at sea in my younger days and got used to seeing the horizon, I get plenty of that here.

That is a very pretty blue!  And you'uns still have leaves!  Our trees are bare now, and amazingly enough, it has not snowed here.  But this is Maine, it WILL snow.  How much is always the rub.

We go through Texico on a regular basis when we visit our daughter in NM.  Just there last July.  When I worked in Carlsbad, NM, (many moons ago) we would get to Clovis on an almost weekly basis and if nothing was happening there, we would work traffic with the Texico PD.  That's my size town, too, but it is on the Llano Estacado - the Staked Plains.  Despite almost being able to see NM mountains, it's geographically the flattest area of the U.S.  Too flat and featureless for me.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dan Hiebert said:

That is a very pretty blue!  And you'uns still have leaves!  Our trees are bare now, and amazingly enough, it has not snowed here.  But this is Maine, it WILL snow.  How much is always the rub.

We go through Texico on a regular basis when we visit our daughter in NM.  Just there last July.  When I worked in Carlsbad, NM, (many moons ago) we would get to Clovis on an almost weekly basis and if nothing was happening there, we would work traffic with the Texico PD.  That's my size town, too, but it is on the Llano Estacado - the Staked Plains.  Despite almost being able to see NM mountains, it's geographically the flattest area of the U.S.  Too flat and featureless for me.

Then your familiar with Curtis and Curtis seed. They are kin of mine.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sniper said:

As a kid one of my chores was shoveling snow, I hate snow. 

As a kid growing up in Minnesota I loved the winters. I too had to shovel the snow with my brother and it usually ended up in a snowball fight. Now in England for the past 25 years, I am waiting for winter. I saw it snow once here and it lasted about a week. Back in MN my favorite time in winter was using the snowblower. My wife would say why don't you clear the drive? Well 2 reasons, 1) it's still snowing. 2) When the snow gets some depth to it the snowblower throws the snow much farther. I miss that.

8 hours ago, SteveR said:

As a kid growing up in Minnesota I loved the winters. I too had to shovel the snow with my brother and it usually ended up in a snowball fight. Now in England for the past 25 years, I am waiting for winter. I saw it snow once here and it lasted about a week. Back in MN my favorite time in winter was using the snowblower. My wife would say why don't you clear the drive? Well 2 reasons, 1) it's still snowing. 2) When the snow gets some depth to it the snowblower throws the snow much farther. I miss that.

How did your brother like it - being used to shovel snow with?   (Just kidding ya.)

Edited by Eneto-55

9 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

How did your brother like it - being used to shovel snow with?   (Just kidding ya.)

We had a very long drive. I can't say we enjoyed it as much as the snowball fight afterward. Shoveling snow was HARD work. I guess when you don't have it you then miss it.

I'm kinda glad at the age of 69 I don't have to shovel snow. However the use of that snowblower when I was in my 40s was welcome and fun.

My brother lives in Duluth he has that burden still of shoveling snow. HaHa poor fellow!