Jump to content

Ride in the hills


LeRoy
 Share

Recommended Posts

We strolled through the hills for about 160 miles today. The trees are petty and all the little streams are flowing nicely. Had a good time and the old car chugged right along. My math tells me I got a little over 18mpg, can that be right?

Edited by LeRoy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I am envious....while I surely love the general 365 weather for getting out and about here in middle Georgia, come autumn, I surely miss the hills of my home state...well I miss them for all seasons but, the colorful autumns are just so memorable.  

Are you from the hills of TN or NC?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to travel to back home each year, at Thanksgiving to prepare the homeplace for winter for my grandmother and then return at Easter to de-winterize and set it up for spring thru Autumn.   I was always disappointed that my cousins who lived within 15 minutes never saw their grandmother near as often as I did.   Just before her passing I got on the phone for one trip in and told the cousins to show up and I did not want to hear any excuses...ended up with 25 or so family members gathered to visit and have some fun.  She really enjoyed that day....facebook has replaced family gathering it seems....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, LeRoy said:

I spent about 12 years in Dallas prior to retiring, yuck

 

Well no kidding, lol.  Any big city, yuck.  My daughter live NE of DFW, Princeton to be exact.  She keeps wanting me to move up there, no thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, LeRoy said:

We strolled through the hills for about 160 miles today. The trees are petty and all the little streams are flowing nicely. Had a good time and the old car chugged right along. My math tells me I got a little over 18mpg, can that be right?

Sounds about right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sniper said:

 

Well no kidding, lol.  Any big city, yuck.  My daughter live NE of DFW, Princeton to be exact.  She keeps wanting me to move up there, no thanks.

If you can stay out of DFW that'd be my recommendation. I lived in the flight path of the airport, between the planes and the crazy people I hope I never go back. I have family in Texaco NM, that's more my speed. I think that's out your way based on a comment you made here some time ago.

Edited by LeRoy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, the nearest interstate to my house is about an hour and a half drive.  Which suits me just fine.  I live where I live for several reasons.  As a kid one of my chores was shoveling snow, I hate snow.  I usually snows once a year around here, just enough to turn everything white but not enough to shovel and usually goes away before you get tired of it, snowpocalypse aside.    I spent a lot of time at sea in my younger days and got used to seeing the horizon, I get plenty of that here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is a very pretty blue!  And you'uns still have leaves!  Our trees are bare now, and amazingly enough, it has not snowed here.  But this is Maine, it WILL snow.  How much is always the rub.

 

We go through Texico on a regular basis when we visit our daughter in NM.  Just there last July.  When I worked in Carlsbad, NM, (many moons ago) we would get to Clovis on an almost weekly basis and if nothing was happening there, we would work traffic with the Texico PD.  That's my size town, too, but it is on the Llano Estacado - the Staked Plains.  Despite almost being able to see NM mountains, it's geographically the flattest area of the U.S.  Too flat and featureless for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Dan Hiebert said:

That is a very pretty blue!  And you'uns still have leaves!  Our trees are bare now, and amazingly enough, it has not snowed here.  But this is Maine, it WILL snow.  How much is always the rub.

 

We go through Texico on a regular basis when we visit our daughter in NM.  Just there last July.  When I worked in Carlsbad, NM, (many moons ago) we would get to Clovis on an almost weekly basis and if nothing was happening there, we would work traffic with the Texico PD.  That's my size town, too, but it is on the Llano Estacado - the Staked Plains.  Despite almost being able to see NM mountains, it's geographically the flattest area of the U.S.  Too flat and featureless for me.

Then your familiar with Curtis and Curtis seed. They are kin of mine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Sniper said:

As a kid one of my chores was shoveling snow, I hate snow. 

As a kid growing up in Minnesota I loved the winters. I too had to shovel the snow with my brother and it usually ended up in a snowball fight. Now in England for the past 25 years, I am waiting for winter. I saw it snow once here and it lasted about a week. Back in MN my favorite time in winter was using the snowblower. My wife would say why don't you clear the drive? Well 2 reasons, 1) it's still snowing. 2) When the snow gets some depth to it the snowblower throws the snow much farther. I miss that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, SteveR said:

As a kid growing up in Minnesota I loved the winters. I too had to shovel the snow with my brother and it usually ended up in a snowball fight. Now in England for the past 25 years, I am waiting for winter. I saw it snow once here and it lasted about a week. Back in MN my favorite time in winter was using the snowblower. My wife would say why don't you clear the drive? Well 2 reasons, 1) it's still snowing. 2) When the snow gets some depth to it the snowblower throws the snow much farther. I miss that.

How did your brother like it - being used to shovel snow with?   (Just kidding ya.)

Edited by Eneto-55
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

How did your brother like it - being used to shovel snow with?   (Just kidding ya.)

We had a very long drive. I can't say we enjoyed it as much as the snowball fight afterward. Shoveling snow was HARD work. I guess when you don't have it you then miss it.

I'm kinda glad at the age of 69 I don't have to shovel snow. However the use of that snowblower when I was in my 40s was welcome and fun.

My brother lives in Duluth he has that burden still of shoveling snow. HaHa poor fellow!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Terms of Use