Seat Fabric Sources?

JerryinTx

I am ready to have the interior of my 48 Plymouth redone.  Got quotes for seat fabric 20 years ago and thought $59.95/yd was high (Hampton Coach). Today I got a similar fabric sample quote from SMS Auto Fabrics, and am pretty shocked at what has happened to fabric prices - now $149/yd!  Has anybody here had their seats done lately, and if so what fabric source did you use?  I am re-thinking my intention of keeping the interior as original.

SMS Auto Fabric sample.JPG

I ordered my material from SMS  in April of 2019  ,12 yards at 89. 00 a yard  .

A word of caution though it took a year for me to get my material I had to go through the Better Business Bureau .

No problem with the material it was great.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cannuck said:

A word of caution though it took a year for me to get my material I had to go through the Better Business Bureau .

ouch....the headache I am sure that was......sorry to hear of the poor service....that is usually reserved for me alone I always thought.  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Cannuck said:

Sounds like a long nightmare!  Glad it turned out all right!

On 11/2/2022 at 4:04 PM, JerryinTx said:

I am ready to have the interior of my 48 Plymouth redone.  Got quotes for seat fabric 20 years ago and thought $59.95/yd was high (Hampton Coach). Today I got a similar fabric sample quote from SMS Auto Fabrics, and am pretty shocked at what has happened to fabric prices - now $149/yd!  Has anybody here had their seats done lately, and if so what fabric source did you use?  I am re-thinking my intention of keeping the interior as original.

SMS Auto Fabric sample.JPG

I'm not anywhere near that point yet, but I think that rather than attempting to match the original fabric (which is impossible without "commissioning" a weaver to make it), I will try to match the fabric design commonly used for seat covers.  Growing up, we never had a car of this era where we sat on the original seat fabric - that was always covered up, to protect it, I suppose.  My 46 is the same.  It has tattered period-correct seat covers installed, the type with a large plaid design.  I will just pick something that is actual fabric, and not the sort of woven plastic stuff these are made of.  If I feel like spending a lot of "dough", then I'll install leather seats covers.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on a limited budget and am also using my meadowbrook as a learning project for my newly developed upholstery skills.

Sooo, instead of going original authentic,  I'm using materials that look good but are way more reasonably priced...like 10 to 20 a yard for fabrics and vinyls obtained from upholstery supply companies. Check out Albright, for example. And no shipping charges AND you get it when you want it.

• Like 1

I know upholstery shops and suppliers have been going out of business for a long time.  The shocker was when LeBaron Bonney went out of business a few years ago.  I thought SMS was the last game in town for broadcloth.  I know of a place in Long Beach that sells headliners and leatherette material, but you have to have your upholsterer order it because they are wholesale.  I've never heard of Albright, so I will check them out.