Vin # - Body # - Engine # - Frame #

Bububabo

I'm trying to get my 1935 Plymouth PJ 2dr Sedan registered.  I acquired it out-of-state.  Here in California OOS vehicles need to be inspected the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and if the Vin #'s aren't easily seen or readable then you take the vehicle to the Highway Patrol (CHP) for Vin# Verification.  My Body Serial # was painted over and not readable by the DMV clerk.

I went to the CHP this morning.  My Body Vin # is now clear and identifiable.  My Serial Vin # is clear and identifiable.  But the CHP Officer Inspector couldn't find a corresponding identification # on the frame.  He says it should be on the left frame rail, between the door post and the rear bumper.  He wants me to take the running board off and move the brake line to search it.

Does anyone know IF there is such a number?  And if so, where it is?

BTW - the 2 identification #'s found so far don't match.  Evidently that was common back then and the CHP inspector wasn't alarmed nor worried about that.

Thanks for any help.

To the best of my knowledge, the serial number is not stamped anywhere on the car and is only present on the tag on the front passenger door hinge post.

On my 1933 PD the original engine number, not serial number, is stamped between the running board supports on the outside of the driver (left) side frame rail.

Just an FYI, the DMV  uses the engine number as the VIN. The clerk that looked at the body serial number doesn't know what she's doing. Skip the CHP and find a more knowledgeable clerk. Good luck.

Edited by allbizz49

25 minutes ago, allbizz49 said:

Just an FYI, the DMV  uses the engine number as the VIN. The clerk that looked at the body serial number doesn't know what she's doing. Skip the CHP and find a more knowledgeable clerk. Good luck.

FYI, my 33 Plymouth is registered in California using the serial number.

Can go either way with CA DMV.

My 49 is registered by the engine/frame number with a reference to the body serial number on the title

My 47 is registered by the body serial number.  The engine has no numbers on it and the frame numbers are unreadable.  Never mentioned this and the CHP just went to the body number.  You DO NOT want DMV assigning you a VIN if possible!!

My 56 Ford Panel is registered by the body serial number located in the same place as my Mopars.

• Like 1