Radiator options for 41 Dodge D19

roofdown

Radiator core is leaking in a few different spots. I took to a local shop and they estimated $725 to recore it with a standard non-honeycomb core. A core close to the original honeycomb would apparently put it up over $1,000+.

I'm ok with a "non-original" option as the car doesn't need to be show-perfect.  So, does anyone have suggestions for cheaper options (i.e. aluminum)? My original radiator measures 22 3/4" wide (bracket to bracket) and that seems to be the tough measurement to match. I emailed Champion and they said they didn't have anything that size.  Unfortunately I'm not setup to do metal fab or custom brackets.

So, before I (reluctantly) spend the $725 I was curious if anyone has alternative suggestions I may have missed.? Thanks!

very little in bolt on replacement parts for the old Mopar....few are slowly being remade but at some very significant cost and often at the heckling of the audience though they don't even try to fill the niche at all.   I sport an aluminum radiator in D19...but I do not have a 6 slug in there either.  Sits forward of the shell and definitely you make your own mounts and with the nose of the D19, the service cap is inline as the normal cap is while accessible, not truly ergonomic...There are many aftermarket radiators one could easily slip into place if you are truly out to being proactive.   Radiators today are made to be thrown away...more and more old shops are closing...many should, they never flow test anymore so have no clue if what they are doing in line of repairs is effective.  Wonder what warranty you will get for the 725.00 you will spend...?  Not being negative, just wondering the service after the sale.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Appreciate the responses. I was holding out hope that someone knew of a bolt-on option that I couldn't find on my own. 

@Plymouthy Adams:  you make a valid point about "warranty" after the repair.  I didn't ask, but certainly will when I call the shop back. Whatever it is, said warranty will only last as long as the shop is in business (which is no guarantee they'll be around in a year or two I guess).  But, to keep my project moving it looks like I'll have to go down the repair route and hope for the best.

Champion doesn't make a radiator to fit a D24 either, although one of their distributors said they had one that would fit, it actually didn't.  Too many things to go wrong fit-wise if they don't specify it will fit your car, even down to the angle of the upper outlet.  In theory, someone could custom build an aluminum one for you, but you'll probably pay more than what you will getting yours recored, or you can do some marginal fitment work, but that would void any warranty (besides which, Champion's instructions said their warranty is void if the radiator is not installed by a certified mechanic).  The original "diamond pattern" (not a true honeycomb) of our era Mopars is not made any more, there is a core that is similar but is only available from England, so the price is way up there.  The "V-cell" style is probably what your shop is quoting you on, it is a recommended replacement from all the shops I visited (and I went to all of them) in Maine if I didn't need an original appearance.  GM and Ford used that pattern extensively.  Personally, I would go with getting yours recored.  If your shop is a reputable one it will have some form of warranty, besides which you will probably never have to worry about it again.  My opinion is that an aluminum one will be more prone to corrosion (I have reasons, but I won't drag this out), especially in our New England climate.     

Last year I gave in and had my ‘36 radiator recored and spent about the same after not finding any replacement solutions.  The radiator shop did compliment me saying that it was a beautiful radiator to restore. A work of art. I kept looking at my 64 1/2 mustang radiator and started looking for one thinking it would be cheaper but fabrication of brackets was needed. The mustang radiator in this picture is 20” wide brackets included. 21” tall. The upper outlet neck is off to the passenger side as is the lower. Perhaps an early ‘60’s Ford/Mercury radiator might save money. 

CE455D83-45D3-456B-8384-666EF566F7AD.jpeg